Excuse the off-topic nature of this post but I am keen to see non-Reddit online communities succeed and wondered if others feel similarly.

Lemmy.ml was unfortunately a widely shared instance for Reddit migrants and became massively oversubscribed by users and new communities. I for one joined up here before I fully understood the nature of the Fediverse.

What I have noticed (and is widely reported elsewhere) is that lemmy.ml isn’t federating properly with other instances, likely due to overload. The result is that users from other instances are missing huge chunks of comments or even entire posts from lemmy.ml based communities such as this one. Subscribe requests sit at pending perpetually. The result is a big barrier of entry to the community. The issue appears two way which communities form other instances not federating properly to lemmy.ml and lemmy.ml communities not federating properly to other instances.

Seeing this I recently created a new account on a different, quieter instance. On there my subscribes to non-lemmy.ml communities has been near instant. My subscription to this community and another on lemmy.ml is stalled.

Due to the nature of Lemmy, being on a popular instance provides clear visibility benefits to those who are users on that instance but at this time appears detrimental to those on others.

Is it worth considering moving this community to a less populated instance while it is still small so as to provide a more reliable experience for new users who otherwise may just quit due to tech frustrations and an apparent lack of content?

• WARPed1701D@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Let’s hope so.

I did just want to follow up my original comment with another saying a big thank you for creating this space, whatever instance it resides on. I don’t want you to feel my words were a complaint. Just sharing of an observation and possible solution.

I hope that once my life calms a little (just moved apartments and downsized) I’ll be able to contribute more to this space and help it grow.

• inasaba@lemmy.mlM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s my pleasure! As I said in another thread, I simply couldn’t let the community go down with the proverbial ship. I have been involved in this space for close to a decade, and the people here mean so much to me. I’m glad that we’re able to move around and retain something of the beautiful garden of a community that we had on Reddit.