• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 hours ago

Never had your issue. F-droid let’s you have apks brother google doesn’t like and won’t allow on their own apk store.

• LifeInMultipleChoice@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 hours ago

Yeah I’m sure it was a bug, but it stands to reason if someone doesn’t have the time to fudge around with getting the F-Droid app to work on their device, they would just download the APK for the app they actually want installed that they are going through F-Droid to download I would think. Which would install the same way that F-Droid does now.

My guess is the best argument would come from the profit returns for a developer are higher as they don’t have to pay a percentage to the Play store. That said, unless the app has massive adaption, costs would be low to host the download of the APK from their website.

I guess we will see in 5 years if there is enough apps that will choose to move to another app store to make users even figure out it matters. With many users right now they exist on environments that attach to their Gmail addresses that track which apps were on previous devices and install which apps they had on their new device in an easy manner. I myself have moved away from using my Gmail accounts and tried to slowly exit that sphere of influence some, but the mass public doesn’t have motivations to do so. Over 50% of the public agrees Musk is not a good person, yet we watch people post shit on Twitter daily, change doesn’t come easy.