• flora_explora@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

I don’t think this is a majority opinion in biology though. Especially not regarding humans.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 hour ago

You are posing a different question though. The argument in the meme is that all behavior is explainable through genetics and neurobiology. This would be true for someone with absolute knowledge, but no biologist is able to fully explain human (and most other animals’) behavior by genetics and neurobiology.

Regarding your question: the building blocks and involved factors might be simple, but you can still have synergies at play that are not fully described by the basic level parameters.

• WldFyre@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          48 minutes ago

Oh I 100% agree with you here! I thought your first comment was more of a free will/non-deterministic universe POV. I guess I read more into the “CAN BE” part of the meme.

It always annoys me how determinist viewpoints are misappropriated by racist “all nature no nurture” morons instead of the provably true and effective systemic approaches instead of the dumb individualistic ones.

• Phineaz@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

Well, what else is there to human behaviour? There are some serious hypothesis about the interface between neurology and quantum mechanics, but if you break humans down to their foundations they will invariably die. Don’t do that, it’s bad.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        58 minutes ago

The difference is between having absolute knowledge or being limited in our knowledge (like we will always be). We cannot fully explain human behavior by genetics and neurobiology. Biologists who say otherwise are not serious scientists. There is a lot of bullshit in neuroscience that gets projected onto the brain and that gets debunked some years later.