• T00l_shed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

Well, they are specifically doing a call to action to vote, part of their “offer” is that you make a plan to vote. But they aren’t saying you have to vote for a specific party.

• T00l_shed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

Well, they are specifically doing a call to action to vote, part of their “offer” is that you make a plan to vote. But they aren’t saying you have to vote for a specific party.

• Meissnerscorpsucle@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

“America’s bluest non voters” and “tweet Donald trump is…”. Looks like they are only paying if you agree with their politics. That is buying votes. Offering it to all non voters is one thing but the other requirements make it shady. Just as bad as Elon Musk “sign a petition”. neither should be permitted.

• Schadrach@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 hours ago

That is buying votes.

No, it’s not. Specifically because they aren’t actually requiring you to vote - they are paying you to make a public apology, post a tweet, and come up with a plan to vote but not based on whether or not you actually go through with that plan or vote at all. That distinction is the specific legal line they are walking.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

They know

Everyone is posting about getting paid for their apology. I did my part by getting a pack, and I want to post, too. What should I post?

You should post:

How is this not illegal??? Cards Against Humanity is PAYING people who didn’t vote in 2020 to apologize, make a voting plan, and post #DonaldTrumpIsAHumanToilet—up to $100 for blue-leaning people in swing states. I helped by getting a 2024 Election Pack: www.Apologize.lol

• BallsandBayonets@lemmings.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

That’s the point. Draw attention to the illegal shit Musk is doing so that maybe the one remaining judge in the US who wants to uphold the Constitution might do something about it.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 days ago

You’ve got a point, if Elon did this for the right people would be screaming corruption, paying people only if they agree to vote the way you want them to is shady as fuck regardless of which side is doing it

I’m probably just joining you in getting dogpiled here but oh well

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              17 hours ago

I can’t actually find the tweet you’re talking about but I’m assuming he’s deleted it or something

From what people are saying it sounds like he was just paying non voters to vote at all, not restricting it to only people who shared his political beliefs

I’d applaud it if that was what CAH were doing but they’re specifically whitelisting people they agree with to be able to get the money, IE paying people to agree with them

• Freefall@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                16 hours ago

They are paying “people that didn’t vote in 2020”. It is ultimately a foil of Musks rightwing, but not reaaalllyy wiiink. Just theirs it more aimed towards blue voters, but only because the right struggles to insult their godking…but ultimately it is just words and not telling them to VOTE BLUE. Just like Musk is trying to get his predominantly red crowed to register and get paid, but not TELLING them to vote red

It is completely asinine and a symptom of our trash system.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  16 hours ago

Cah literally say in their FAQ that this is only offered to “the bluest voters” and imply (whether it’s true or not I don’t know) that they have information about who’s voted what and when to verify that

• null@slrpnk.net
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    14 hours ago

Musk is using the same data to target this offer to red-leaning voters, he’s just not being as explicit about it.

Again, CaH saying the quiet part out loud and being very blatant about it while still being totally legal is the point.

• zarkony@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not, because Elon actually is doing that.

In both these cases, the payment technically isn’t directly for voting for a specific candidate. The payment is for an unrelated action that only someone voting for your candidate would agree with. Either way, still smells bad.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maryroeloffs/2024/10/07/elon-musks-pac-is-paying-47-for-each-solicited-petition-signature-from-a-swing-state-voter-heres-why-its-controversial/

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              23 hours ago

The payment is for an unrelated action that only someone voting for your candidate would agree with.

Supporting free speech and gun rights (literally all the petition says) is something only a Trump voter would agree with?

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  19 hours ago

Didn’t say that.

But the petition is being sold here as “pledging to vote for Trump”. which it plainly isn’t. It’s also been sold in this Lemmy thread as paying voters to sign a petition that only Trump voters would ever agree to sign.

The petition that allegedly only Trump voters would ever agree to sign, only states that you support free speech and gun rights. Whether or not I think Musk actually genuinely supports those things (I don’t) is irrelevant, that’s what the actual petition says.

• null@slrpnk.net
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    14 hours ago

Can you share the full text of the petition?

Also confirm whether signing it defaults to adding you to any mailing lists?

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 days ago

I’m not being sarcastic, and I don’t follow American politics that closely so I didn’t know about this. I also don’t see why people think the right response to that is to just do the same thing though

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 days ago

I’m not following, I don’t live in the US. If he’s doing it too that also sucks but I don’t think stooping to that level is the way to solve that problem

• ABCDE@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 day ago

Then read through the website linked and understand what is going on here if you’re not following.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  17 hours ago

Having read up on the article about musk doing this, he’s not restricting it to people who are going to vote for a specific party which is the thing I take issue with.

Nothing wrong with paying people to vote in general, paying people only if they are going to vote the way you want them to sucks

• null@slrpnk.net
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    17 hours ago

Nothing wrong with paying people to vote in general

It’s literally illegal.

• SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 day ago

It’s been pointed out that he is in fact doing it, several times actually. I’m actually pretty sure this is directly a result of the Muskrat doing it.