• divya@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Re-reading several dialogues of Plato. And recently started David Graeber & David Wengrow’s The Dawn of Everything.

Attempting to read Proust’s In Search of Lost Time again, let’s see how far I get.

• Levsgetso@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I started A Game of Thrones yesterday. I haven’t read in quite a long time and I’m loving it! When I’m reading I feel so relaxed and at peace, it’s just so nice!

• Robertus Cognoscens@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m an avid reader of L. E. Modesitt Jr’s oeuvre. I’m usually on at least one of his novels in parallel with whatever else I’m reading at that moment. For a few years now, I’ve been immersed in his “Saga of Recluce” series, an informal name given by the readers, if I remember correctly. I’m currently at the fifth novel, in publication order, which is also the last one in the internal chronological order. After that, I’ll continue with the sixth published novel, one of the oldest stories in the internal chronology, and one that narrates essential events. Following that one, I plan on interrupting the publication order to then read another few novels that I’m more interested in, due to the fundamental importance of those stories in the global arc, and therefore in the worldbuilding. Some of them narrate the oldest events in that world, thus far.

To anyone who may be interested in the series, my recommendation is to not search for worldbuilding and plot details online. I think it’s best to get into it without knowing, or knowing as little as possible. Concomitantly, I agree with the author on his recommendation to read everything in publication order.

More recently, I started one of his science fiction novels, which is what has most of my attention at the moment, in fiction reading. It’s Gravity Dreams (1999).

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Trying to start Malazan.

It’s pretty rough. I know he wants to build up the world naturally, and it’s supposed to feel like a story you stepped into halfway through but… Come on, man.

I hear they don’t explain the magic until book nine… I’m not sure I’d even want to know at the point. I think at that point I’d be like “Haha, there goes the wizards, doing wizard stuff! I think.”

• Boson@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I really liked them, I agree its a very slow build up, but suits for certain moods and timing

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Yeah, everyone seems to agree the payoff is worth it.

My problem is I can’t listen to the audiobooks at work because I’ll miss half the details and never figure out what’s going on, but I’ve got too many other things I want to do in my free time to really sit down and get some pages turned.

• gabe [he/him]@literature.cafeM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Didn’t read as much last week as I’d hoped, nearly done with the third Percy Jackson audiobook though. My sweater is getting big, almost time to move onto the sleeves.

• Eq0@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Same here, some weeks are what they are. I spend a lot of time doing a lot of fun stuff, but reading was not on the list! I don’t think it will get better in the next week in this aspect. Unfortunately, there are only 24 hours in a day…

• Arthur@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You inspired me to start listening to the series again before the new book next month. Looks like I’m almost caught up with you. What did you think about Sea of Monsters? I thought it was kind of bad the second time through and that was sad to me. I guess that’s the double edge knife of experiencing something with a lot of nostalgia.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I liked it! I kind of lessen my expectations as an adult with those kind of books. I go in knowing that I’m an adult now and that those books are not aimed or written to my demographic, so I more or less just turn my brain off/suspend my disbelief. Some of the stuff honestly did not age well in Sea of Monsters specifically though.

• Arthur@literature.cafe
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Maybe my expectations were too high after just finishing Thistlefoot… haha.

Definitely agree that some stuff did not age well at all.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

It honestly made me so sad listening to it and hearing how ableist some of it was. I understand what some of Ricks intentions were, but they do not hold up well.

And yeah. I’m glad you loved Thistlefoot! I love introducing it to other people. I’m planning on getting a hardcover copy someday to have on hand since it was just such an impactful read for me. :)