• gabe [he/him]@literature.cafeM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Didn’t read as much last week as I’d hoped, nearly done with the third Percy Jackson audiobook though. My sweater is getting big, almost time to move onto the sleeves.

• Eq0@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Same here, some weeks are what they are. I spend a lot of time doing a lot of fun stuff, but reading was not on the list! I don’t think it will get better in the next week in this aspect. Unfortunately, there are only 24 hours in a day…

• Arthur@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You inspired me to start listening to the series again before the new book next month. Looks like I’m almost caught up with you. What did you think about Sea of Monsters? I thought it was kind of bad the second time through and that was sad to me. I guess that’s the double edge knife of experiencing something with a lot of nostalgia.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I liked it! I kind of lessen my expectations as an adult with those kind of books. I go in knowing that I’m an adult now and that those books are not aimed or written to my demographic, so I more or less just turn my brain off/suspend my disbelief. Some of the stuff honestly did not age well in Sea of Monsters specifically though.

• Arthur@literature.cafe
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Maybe my expectations were too high after just finishing Thistlefoot… haha.

Definitely agree that some stuff did not age well at all.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

It honestly made me so sad listening to it and hearing how ableist some of it was. I understand what some of Ricks intentions were, but they do not hold up well.

And yeah. I’m glad you loved Thistlefoot! I love introducing it to other people. I’m planning on getting a hardcover copy someday to have on hand since it was just such an impactful read for me. :)