• KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    15 hours ago

i always find these kind of statements and comics weird, because like.

If the plane is your own, this would also signal the sound of protection and defense, which is an objectively good thing, if we’re classifying dying due to a plane as a bad thing.

There are two sides to the coin and i guess this is either shitposting memes, or people never think about the fact that like, you can also just have a military.

• Tlaloc_Temporal@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 hours ago

Most people don’t like living near even civilian airports. Active duty flights would’ve usually happened nearer to the front, and modern flights often happen from aircraft carriers anyway.

Much more common for people to hear are shows of force, like the States do for holidays, airshows, and large sports games.

The comic is making fun of the fact that an airshow idolizes machines of war. Not all airshows focus on military craft, but most of them do, often being held at military airbases.

As cool as they are, it’s good to remember that those machines are instruments of death, and often used against people of no immediate threat. Regardless of the necessity, I don’t think that’s something to cheer for.

• phoenixz@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 hours ago

modern flights often happen from aircraft carriers anyway

Eh, no?

Aircraft carriers are ridiculously complicated and expensive, hence even the us only having around a dozen or so? Russia famously has none. Great Brittain has like 2 or so, France like 1?

Its been a while, I don’t remember the exact numbers, but the number of aircraft carriers in the world would be in the very low dozens because they’re damn near unaffordably expensive.

The beyond vast majority of modern flights still happen from airports

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          37 minutes ago

Also, none have been lost in battle since WW2.

They’re basically mobile island outposts at this point.

• KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        14 hours ago

tbf that’s mostly because they’re really fucking loud, all of the time. Military air fields are probably quieter for longer periods of time lol. Although still rather loud im sure.

Active duty flights would’ve usually happened nearer to the front, and modern flights often happen from aircraft carriers anyway.

to be clear, this wouldn’t matter, we’re talking about airshows, most people living near the front lines are going to be gone anyway. And even if we were to grant this point, it still wouldn’t diminish my statement. national pride is a weird thing.

The comic is making fun of the fact that an airshow idolizes machines of war.

i mean sure, but im pretty sure humanity has always idolized the military and it’s armies, as well as it’s ability to project force. It’s the stable of basically every great empire. Humanity seems to have an inherent connection with the ability of projecting force. It would be evolutionary advantageous, so that’s probably why.

As cool as they are, it’s good to remember that those machines are instruments of death, and often used against people of no immediate threat. Regardless of the necessity, I don’t think that’s something to cheer for.

i mean sure, but morbidity is the calling card for a lot of things, the dahmer netflix series for example. Should we be treating that the same? Like to be clear, i don’t disagree, but every time you pick up an angle grinder do you really need to think about how many people have been horrifically inujred by it and pray to the grinder gods for you safety? Or should you just be conscious of how you use the tool, and be careful with it.

and often used against people of no immediate threat.

also idk about this statement, maybe for the case of like the russian artillery units for example. I doubt that f-16s have been primarily used on like, someones dog. More than people of actual consequence. It’s also really vaguely defined, which doesn’t help.