• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 hours ago

It really wasn’t. He went sideways because he was hitting his brakes after it started to go sideways.

• Brown5500@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Should he have just coasted all the way down the hill? How fast would he be going by then? He seemed to do a pretty good job of braking as much as possible while still being able to steer enough.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Him going sideways meant his braking wasn’t working. If there’s slipping you want to let off the brake and down shift (you can do this in automatics) to the lowest gear that doesn’t make you slip. Staying straight to where your wheels aren’t slipping is a priority over braking or getting slower. The only way of slowing is to have traction, and you don’t want it while sideways.

I would have tried keeping straight and then veered over into the dry lane and started slowing down.

• TheRealKuni@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

Put it in a low gear. The engine will slow the vehicle and prevent you from gaining too much momentum while still allowing you to control it.

He didn’t do a terrible job though, especially if there were cars ahead of him.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

Passenger busses? None. 52,000 pound fire engines? Many.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

Do you have the guy in back steering the rear wheels? That style of truck used to be commonplace when I was a kid, but I haven’t seen one in a long time.

• ColeSloth
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 hour ago

They’re called tillers. The steering radius advancements and ladder construction allowed for shorter trucks that could turn tight enough to stop needing tillers in most areas. They’re still in a lot of narrow and tight big cities like Kansas city, MO. The city I work at is also actually planning on getting one in about 5 more years, so they are still in demand. It’s just that they aren’t needed a lot of times, now.

• ColeSloth
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                53 minutes ago

Oh, I’ll absolutely be giving that a shot. Seems like a blast.