Summary:

In the video, Mrwhosetheboss argues that Google Search has become worse. He believes that Google has prioritized sponsored links and shopping ads over organic search results. As a result, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find the information you are looking for on Google. He also criticizes Google for its use of generative AI, which he believes is not accurate and could eventually replace the need to visit other websites.

• mbirth@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

There was a discussion about this topic on Hacker News a few months ago:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=40133976

One ex-Googler pointed out that due to the machine learning stuff and every new employee trying out the latest “AI” stuff on top of it, no human can understand and thus debug the search engine properly anymore.

• Sauerkraut
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Some would counter that 3rd parties have been manipulating google search results, and that is true, but it overlooks the fact that Google is largely responsible for incentivizing that kind of behavior. Google is an advertising company that has a search engine and they pay sites to host their ads because on site traffic so those sites in turn try to manipulate google search results to increase their traffic.

• SoJB@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

Wanna know a secret?

All big companies are degrading in the same way.

Teams cut down to 25% staffing with critical support roles sunsetted instead of backfilled. Revenue demands increasing quarter over quarter. Budgets declining. Profits higher than ever before, beating earnings by over 50% quarter over quarter 2 quarters in a row.

Mistakes costing more and more money, sucking up more labor to fix that is already spread thin. I’m the project lead on half a dozen projects ranging from $100k to $1.6m in capital expense each, simultaneously, by myself.

My role is not designed for project work. It’s supposed to be routine maintenance and operations. Which I’m also doing.

The entire corporate world is about to eat shit and reap what they’ve sown. And stocks will be higher than ever before.

The Western world is in free collapse, yall. Hope you realize and prepare accordingly before those funny TikToks of homeless people you watch have you in them.

Welcome to the endgame of capitalism.

• Semjaza@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

Mostly agree… Not sure why you think it’s limited to Western countries though unless you’re including India and China as well as Japan as Western.

And since it’s a feature of Capitalism, I don’t imagine the rest of the world is immune to it.