• A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 hours ago

This is why insurance should be nationalized as part of your taxes.

Anyone thats not a brainwashed rightwing lunatic would see that paying 100-300 dollars a year on taxes would be a hell of a lot better than 100+ dollars a month just to buy a CEO a golden parachute and another yacht

But as long as right wing lunatics are out there literally hunting aid workers and evaluators, its never gonna happen… because they want misery, pain, and destruction. its why Project 2025 wants to get rid of all of it.

• RBWells@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      40 minutes ago

Even making it a state plan would work better in Florida than what we currently have. They let private insurers cherry pick the less risky houses, and cover whoever is left with the state plan. Then those private for profit insurers take the premiums, pay big bonuses to themselves, dissolve the company and leave, rinse and repeat. It’s a scam.

• PlantJam@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 minutes ago

The cherry picking is usually a compromise to keep the companies operating in the state at all. If the state says a company must offer coverage for all perils for the entire state or leave entirely, it doesn’t take an underwriter to know Florida is a bad bet. There are similar carve outs for windstorm coverage in other gulf coast states, and I think for wildfire coverage on the west coast.

Edit: I couldn’t find anything about a single peril state plan for California, but this article describes some of the recent insurance issues in the state: https://apnews.com/article/california-home-insurance-wildfire-risk-premiums-047bdfa514ce93dac83c82735a15554a

• A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          33 minutes ago

“Why should I have to pay for YOUR kids to go to school?”

“Why should I pay for social safety nets when I’m well off?”

“Why should I pay for roads when I don’t drive?”

Because there will come a day where you may need the help, and it wont be there cause your pigheaded myopia, and then you’ll cry and cry about the unfairness of it all and maybe, just maybe, if you have a functioning neuron in that brain of yours, that maybe the fraction of a cent of yours that actually goes to help people isnt such a bad thing afterall