• ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Weaponized incompetence was a term created to shame partners for not being able to correctly preform household tasks that are considered “simple”

Like a husband not doing the laundry right just so the wife will do it instead.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

I don’t really understand why people reacted negatively to this. It’s a known thing that people do and other people abuse in one way or another.

• can@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 hours ago

It seemed like a nonsequiter? How is efficiency in sandwich knife use in any way related to what you said?

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 hour ago

Yeah, it’s not one of the things people associate with incompetence, weaponized or otherwise.

Going on a seemingly random rant about weaponized incompetence on the other hand I’m not saying it’s a red flag, but it’s certainly not a green one

• MirthfulAlembic@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 hour ago

I think they were reading into the knife example as meaning they’d just leave the knife there after leaving the kitchen, expecting someone else to deal with it. Which if someone did habitually would be an instance of weaponized incompetence. I more charitably assume people are doing this while still actively in the vicinity.

• HonoraryMancunian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

Weaponized incompetence was a term created to shame partners for purposefully incorrectly performing household tasks that are simple

FTFY

• Eheran@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

I have conflicting interpretations of those 2 paragraphs. Does the woman use it to shame the man? Or does the man use it to not have to do the task?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

The original meaning was that the man was using it to not have to do the task.

Effectively it’s both.