I want to learn another programming language now that I’ve been using Python for over 2 years now. I am kind of leaning on learning JS so that I can use it for the backend and also for the frontend. But the syntax is kind of weird. I heard Go is pretty good for the backend and also is compiled. What do y’all say? I also welcome other language recommendations.

• Asudox@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I mean, I heard that new software engineers are allowed to work on the frontend first before the backend. So if I learnt JS now, I could master it, which would help me in the long run. Am I wrong?

• NewDark@unilem.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Entirely depends on your skillset and company. That might be true somewhere, but seems strange.

I do recommend you pick up typescript though. It will forcibly teach you some good habits, expectations, and some more base understanding of what you’re actually doing.

• Asudox@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Yeah, I was thinking of using TS anyways. I saw some video that showed how weird JS handles stuff when you try to add two things and such. I also want to make it a habit to type everything anyways. By the way, do I have to learn some more stuff if I want to use TS or is it just that it forces you to use types?

• NewDark@unilem.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

There’s a bit of fiddling with configuration and using npm, but it’s not much overhead. There’s plenty of tsconfig settings to customize the process for your need, but most the defaults are quite sane.

• NewDark@unilem.org
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Well, TS is just JS with strong typing and type annotations. It’s almost the same language, just adding guard-rails and safety checks that the base language doesn’t have.