• Golfnbrew@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 hours ago

Serious question : My desktop is incompatible with Win11, I run Win10, and I use it for web browsing, Excel, and a little Word processing. Nothing else. Can’t i just continue on as is? Not a gamer, not a heavy user…

• CaptainBasculin@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 hours ago

you’ll most likely be fine, there still exists people who use Windows 7 for that workflow. You have to be more aware of vulnerabilities that could be found on your operating system though; and over time more and more software might drop support for your OS (realistically, this will be more noticable when Windows 12-13 gets released) so you might not be able to use latest Office version’s features.

• Golfnbrew@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        42 minutes ago

Thank you. I’m retired, and unlikely to upgrade Office. Ver 2016 still does exactly what I need to do.

I’ll keep my router secured, my firewall updated as long as it will, and anti virus /malware up to date.

• NarrativeBear@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

Look into Rufus, it will help you create a bootable USB with windows 11 and you can use it to do a upgrade or clean install from your windows 10 installation (clean install preferred IMO), it will even help bypass the hardware requirements and you can even remove the email account and use a local account. Make sure to use or write down your windows 10 activation/license for a clean install.

https://rufus.ie/en/

Guide: https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-install-windows-11-the-way-you-want-and-bypass-microsofts-restrictions/

That being said you could potentially still run the old wondows OS, but as time goes on new exploits could be found that can compromise the OS. If its behind a firewall such as your router its safer, but there is still the possibility of it being infected way off into the future.

Here is a video of windows XP running on a PC connected directly to the internet with no firewall. Its infected almost instantaneously. (Dont try this at home).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uSVVCmOH5w

• VieuxQueb@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

The problem with that is that vulnerability will be found and used. Since it’s connected to the internet it will be exposed to attackers and could be infected with botnet viruses/tools and used to attack other computer/services.

• burgeoning@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Dual-boot Linux Mint, and install Microsoft fonts from the package manager to make documents more cross compatible. Should be a fairly easy migration for your use case. It took me about a year of dual booting to completely switch over to Mint, but it was worthwhile.

• fossilesque@mander.xyzOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          41 minutes ago

I switched to LibreOffice Calc. I program my sheets and don’t need all the bells and whistles of Excel.

• Dharma Curious (he/him)@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          22 minutes ago

If you’re using excel anyway, you’re probably not super worried about using non open source software. In which case, I find Google sheets to perfect. I use it for almost everything, because it’s just easier to use Google’s office suite for my school than it would be to use libre office, since everything backs up immediately across devices. I’ve never had any complaints about compatibility or format, and I’m literally being graded on my shit. I’d be preferable to use only open source software, from like a philosophical standpoint, but I also need things to function well in a world that expects automatic saving across devices and flawless compatibility to the arbitrary standard of Microsoft office