• yetAnotherUser
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

It’s pretty much locked in once you hit your teens. You can nudge it a little, you can change how you present yourself but your personality is what you are. And you cannot change that significantly. Just try changing your core values, your ethics. Can you start believing and feeling like murder and rape is ethical?

I’m not sure how accurate this is but I’ve read it in a scientific article some time ago. In particular, it highlighted the connection to how likely people are to commit crimes based on personality and brain structure alone and whether you can actually be held responsible for crimes since there is at least some determinism.

• BougieBirdie@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I feel like I’ve had several radical changes in personality through life. I’m not the person I was when I was a teenager. I’m wildly different from who I was in my 20s.

As I’ve grown and learned about myself and the world, I’ve become more empathetic. That’s definitely had a mellowing effect to my personality.

That said, I agree that you can’t suppress your identity. You might try to push it down and repress it, but some things you just can’t change about yourself. But your personality is in your brain, and the brain is plastic.

But at the end of the day, all a person needs to do to have a pleasant personality is not be an asshole. If a person can’t restrain themself from being an asshole, then they’re probably not interested in developing their personality.