• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Science is the scientific method, until a hypothesis has gone through the scientific method it’s just a thought experiment and not actual science.

• fkn@lemmy.world
      cake
      M
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Edit: I just realized that they edited their post. Originally it said “empirical math”. Now that it says “empirical measurements” my question is void.

That’s not my question… Unless I am completely misunderstanding what is being said.

What does empirical math, specifically, have to do with simulation theory.

I’m not advocating for simulation theory here for what it’s worth. I just don’t understand what “empirical” math has to do with it. The statement that “empirical math needs to be demonstrated first” is just super weird to me.

I don’t know what to do with it. It feels like it’s claiming that all math is theoretical… Or that math is a tautology… Or that they think math is incapable of doing something that simulation theory posits or…

So, instead of guessing at some general conclusion of what they are talking about I asked.