The shooter, a white man, killed three people after writing messages of hatred for Black people. He killed himself after opening fire in a dollar store.

A white gunman fatally shot three Black people in hate-motivated shooting at a Dollar General retailer in Jacksonville on Saturday afternoon, Sheriff T.K. Waters said.

“This shooting was racially motivated, and he hated Black people,” the sheriff said at a news conference. “He wanted to kill n------.”

• GladiusB@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Chicken or egg. One existed before but the other gave it a platform and kept it alive. I hope it changes in a decade.

• Fades@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Fuck off, trump has done more to bring racism and fascism to the forefront than anyone else in recent history.

Racism, sexism and bigotry have gotten bolder in his wake, we’ve seen violence in his name, pelosi’s husband for example, as well as violence for other conservative beliefs like white replacement theory bullshit which absolutely was pushed by trumps friends like tucker (who famously hates his guts)

But yeah go on, trump is just a product of his environment :(. He holds no accountability I guess

• freeindv@monyet.cc
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Trump didn’t promote or support racism, the media did using him as an excuse

• lennybird@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The list of violent right-wing extremist violence is is growing very long.

All this fanned by right-wing media and foreign agents like Russia.

• Franzia@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

“This was, quite frankly, a maniac who decided he wanted to take lives,”

Copycat shooter with a manifesto, armed with the usual kit: A plate carrier, an AR-15, and a Glock.

While I can see this is a racially motivated shooting, I think this pattern indicates some deeper… suicidal, martyrdom ideology. The intent includes the suicide. It’s suicidally motivated, too. These plans include the repetitive messaging of a newsfeed marching down the list of mass shootings by scared whitr supremacists. Racial killing, suicide, manifesto, and the date makes it a copycat killing. Is he truly a maniac, if so many are falling into this same set of cowardly cries for help?

I feel no sympathy for the dead shooter. But I stare into the abyss, feeling I must empathize with the scared white supremacist who does this next.

Stochastic Terrorism (wiki)

• clobubba@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Killing three random dudes in a Dollar General isn’t going to “save the white race”. This guy’s plan is either evidence he was so dumb we’re better off without him in the gene pool, or was intended to kick-start the race war they want so badly. I refuse to feel sorry for him in either case. I’m not taking the high road. Fuck this guy.

• abigscaryhobo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah my best guess here is the possibility of someone being suicidal anyway and deciding to commit a hate crime to go out as some sort of half-assed martyr, or as some idiot that spent too long on the message boards and decided to “defend America” by committing a hate crime. Either way, an idiot that has signed a receipt for “I won’t be missed”

• Burn_The_Right@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I must empathize with the scared white supremacist who does this next.

Really?! What the fuck?

Conservatives do not empathize with you. They see empathy as a weakness to exploit. Do not empathize with them unless you’d like to become their next victim.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

You can empathize with someone without being exploited by them. I empathize with prisoners suffering in solitary confinement because I consider it inhumane. That doesn’t mean I’m going to allow myself to be attacked by a murderous psychopath without defending myself.

• RegularGoose@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Empathy is not agreement or defense, it’s understanding. Refusing to empathize is refusing to find a solution. Stop being part of the problem.

• Fades@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

I would say refusing to empathize is more akin to refusing to try and understand the person and their plight. That in turn can lead to missing potential solutions that work for all or most parties

Semantics of course

• Soulg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

The only possible way to try to prevent it is to try and talk them down before hand.

I mean, aside from the obvious gun legislation that won’t happen

• Pratai@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Fuck em. Let them all suicide their way out. As long as they stop taking innocent people with them, they can die in agony in a ditch as far as I’m concerned. The time for sympathy is over.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

You’re probably not wrong. Conservatives have been shown to have a larger amygdala, yielding a greater reaction to fear and disgust.

• Hadriscus@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Not sure why the downvotes, I think you’re right, fear is at the source of this muderous behaviour. This is the meaning carried by the “phobia” in “negrophobia”, " homophobia", etc. These people feel their very existence is threatened by their victims : they’ve been indoctrinated into thinking their “race” or “culture” are driven to extinction by other people. So yes, it’s absolutely fear.

• theodewere@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

more to the point maybe, it’s useless to try to find a coherent idea inside their heads, with the idea of treating it, or heading it off in others or something… they consume a steady diet of fear inducing media, and look to their gun as the only help… when they snap, they’re just looking for the most convenient excuse to use the firearm finally…

it isn’t about anyone’s “race” (that idea never makes sense anyway), so much as someone is telling him appearance or culture is a fear vector for him (i.e. people who look and think differently hate HIM)… he’s listening for any reason to be afraid, it really doesn’t matter…

in fact, trying to assign the problem to his race or a racial idea is just doing the same in reverse… trying to find a reason to fear someone and create a fear vector in people’s minds…

and just to reiterate because it’s so important: it is USELESS to try to find a coherent idea of any kind in those heads

• Alien Nathan Edward@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

OH BOY ANOTHER LONE WOLF! CAN’T FUCKING MOVE FOR LONE WOLVES AROUND HERE!

If you ever wondered what you would do in Germany in the 30s, you’re doing it right now.

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Which is head-in-the-sand, “I can’t do anything about it because the other side is the problem.”

Fascism takes over gradually, like frogs in a pot of water slowly heating.

• notatoad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

fun fact: if you try to actually boil a frog, it jumps out of the pot. frogs aren’t that dumb.

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Florida is full of Nazis. Pretty much every biker bar in Florida is home to white supremacists. You couldn’t get me to visit Florida for anything.

• WaxedWookie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I love it that Nazis are too damn stupid to give their allies plausible deniability and keep covering everything in swaztikas.

The Allen Texas mall shooter was a great example - the right wing media tried arguing he was Hispanic, and that he wasn’t right-wing - his huge swaztika tattoos were a false flag… That he wore for years. Even your average Fox viewer isn’t buying that.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

That they’re morons (I know), or that even those morons see through the bullshit (they seem to in this case, but I may be wrong).

• FaeDrifter@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

He didn’t actually die, it was all staged, and the tattoos were the temporary ink tattoos.

This is sarcasm but maybe I shouldn’t give the conspiracy theorists any more ideas.

The most ridiculous part is how self-contradictory the right wing media explanations get. Like he’s a false flag to make right wing white nationalists look bad, but simultaneously he’s an example of how dangerous Hispanic immigrants are. Firehouse of misinformation - hopefully something sticks, right!?

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Poe’s law is what it is I guess…

The contradiction is no accident though - it’s a necessary element of fascism - the enemy must always be both pathetically weak and an existential threat.

• gentleman@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

@Maajmaaj I think you’re right. Stay sober though. check out reddit r/liberalgunowners there is a huge amount of information for those thinking about becoming armed.

@MicroWave

• 【J】【u】【s】【t】【Z】@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Not a matter of right or wrong. The statistics are clear about the risks.

Gun in your home = more likely to shoot a family member than an intruder.

Gun on person = more likely to be the victim of a violent crime.

• ElderWendigo@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

A gun is unlikely to make you much safer in public. It will significantly increase your risk for gun related injury or death in your own home. A concealed weapon in public opens you up to liability, as well as an easy excuse for any police to murder you if they discover your gun before you can completely submit and follow their often confusing and conflicting orders. An unconcealed gun just makes you a higher profile target for an armed maniac like in the article and also the police. The statistics just don’t support the idea in general that getting a gun ever makes anyone any safer from gun violence.

I understand your motivation to protect yourself and I support your right to do so through responsible and informed gun ownership. Go take the prerequisite gun safety classes first. Go find a range that will let you shoot with their equipment. Start the process of getting a gun with as much education and experience as you can. Read the about the statistics of gun violence, paying attention to where the funding for each paper comes from. Read up on your rights, but also train yourself on how to deal with police encounters, now that you’re going to be the thing most police are pants passingly afraid of. This will help in dealing with police even when your not armed. If you’re not already going to therapy, make it a regular part of your gun maintenance. If you and the gun will be living with anyone old enough to grasp objects and understand language, make sure they go to gun safety classes also. If you have children that will have friends over know that a lock is not enough to keep kids safe (gun locks are notoriously easy to bypass), they all need age appropriate gun safety education.

• constantokra@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Angry white men should not be the only ones in our society with guns. If you can own and carry one safely, you should at least seriously consider it.

• Fades@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Did that fucking sheriff seriously use the n word in damn press release…. What the fuck???

• dgendreau@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Many right wing conservatives try to claim the horrible shit their own people do was actually a false flag attack planned by Antifa. Like they did with the January 6th insurrection.

• howsetheraven@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

It would be hilarious if they all died out because of it, but there are always more. Like can they all just go all the way with it? If everything is a false flag, you nutjobs should be shooting up the NRA building or something. They’re liberal plants after all right?