A University of South Carolina student was shot and killed as he apparently tried to enter the wrong home on his off-campus street early on Saturday, police said.

Nicholas Anthony Donofrio, 20, of Connecticut, was dead by the time police responded to reports of a home burglary and shooting, according to a Columbia Police Department news release. Officers found his body on a front porch around 2 a.m., and Donofrio had a gunshot wound to his upper body, the release said.

• BaroqueInMind@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I know you are being sarcastic, but this is a reality in remote rural areas where cops don’t respond immediately.

• MataVatnik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

If you’re close enough to shoot, you’re close enough to talk to the person you’re shooting. It’s pretty easy to gage what a person’s intentions are that way.

• PoliticalAgitator@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

You mean the remote rural areas where the chance of being violently assaulted in your own home by a stranger are at their lowest?

Good thing America sells guns to neo-nazis and domestic abusers with minimal requirements for safe handling and storage then. Otherwise some poor farmer might have their iPad stolen.

• BaroqueInMind@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

That’s a fair counterpoint and I’m not going to dispute that because I agree with you. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s not up for debate that the U.S. Constitution identifies and protects firearm ownership.