• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Great quote, but there is no proof that it’s by Sophie Scholl or her brother Hans. Please stop the misattribution.

Also while I do see some truth in the criticism, I also think it’s unfair. Sophie and Hans Scholl were truly heroes, but their impact was rather insignificant. What shall someone who wants to protect their family learn from their example? You speak up and you get killed and nothing changes.

Power for change does not come from the individual but from the masses. That’s how Hitler got into power and that’s how his regime ended (albeit by different masses in both instances).

• TokenBoomer@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

I got the meme from a friend, so I don’t know if it is a misattribution, but I agree with the sentiment. Masses are made of individuals. Rugged individualism, unless it’s to stop Nazis.

• pau_hana@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 hours ago

Here is an article ( in German) that calls into question the attribution to Sophie Scholl. faktencheck page But regardless of the true source, I agree it is a powerful quote.

• amzd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

Power for change does not come from the individual but from the masses.

Bullshit defeatist attitude. You are the masses.

• state_electrician
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 hours ago

There is nothing defeatist about being realistic. A group of individuals is not the masses, you need some sort of organization to effect meaningful change. I am not arguing for complacency. But you need a plan. And just saying everybody is to blame because they don’t rise up is dumb. Some unorganized individuals fighting back is easily suppressed and nothing will change, we saw that in the Third Reich. If it were easy, we wouldn’t be where we are right now.