Was watching this video on the “tri-fold” phone by MKBHD and that thing is thicc! I don’t care about folds, but I can’t find a single phone without a fold phone that is that thick. The battery life would be amazing…

• balsoft@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

There are android phones that are even thicker, with amazing battery life and fall protection. Check out DOOGEE for example.

• GreatRam@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 hours ago

It’s all about marketability. A thin slab phone is more marketable than a thick slab phone. A (thick) tri fold is more marketable than a thin slab phone. I’m sure if they find a way to make the trifold even thinner they would though at that point idk where they would put the USB port.

• GreatRam@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 hours ago

The tradeoff for a really big screen is a thicker device. That’s more valuable to more people than the longer lasting battery. At least in the eyes of the manufacturers. I’m sure if bigger batteries sold better there would be more (any) options. The issue is not enough people care.

• MachineFab812
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

The battery life of the phone, the potential longevity and repairability of the phone could be amazing. The last two are why they don’t mabe them so much, and there’s no demand when there’s no product to meet that demand.

Me? I want a phone that floats, out of the box. Bonus points if it can survive a fall into a barge wing-tank, including hitting the ladder on its way down, but really, taking my phone off the boat is a habbit I never got into.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 hours ago

I would prefer a thicker phone, especially if it has a larger battery. Apple’s obsession with slim is ridiculous, especially because they’re impossible to hold onto. Thankfully they seem to have finally figured that out with their newer phones which have flat sides.

• toastal@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

The trend part suck. You know if Apple decided thicker phones were cool again, then all of Android would copy it instead of thinking for themselves & meeting user demands (niche or otherwise)

• colin@lemmy.uninsane.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 hours ago

Why are we OK with thick folding phones, but not with thick no-folds?

i think by “we” you mean the manufacturers? AFAICT they just gave away the game: the push for thin phones was more from the supply side than the demand side. not saying people don’t generally prefer thin phones – just that the preference is probably weaker than has been made out to be.

that said, i think it’s more fair to compare things like cubic volume and weight than just the thinness. a 1/2" thick full-size phone would be uncomfortable in my pocket, whereas a 1/2" thick wallet-sized phone might actually be more comfortable than a traditional smartphone.