According to GIMPS, this is the first time a prime number was not found by an ordinary PC, but rather a “‘cloud supercomputer’ spanning 17 countries” that utilized an Nvidia A100 GPU chip to make the initial diagnosis. The primary architect of this find is Luke Durant, who worked at Nvidia as a software engineer for 11 years

• _bcron_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 hours ago

Nobody will use this math in our lifetime.

That’s a presumption. Have you ever considered that there’s a non-zero chance that you’re wrong?

• wagesj45@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

Even if it’s true, he’s just admitting that he doesn’t care about future generations. Fuck them kids, I guess.

• just_another_person@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 hours ago

It’s not a presumption when there is no basis for it all. It’s a fucking fact.

If there was a segment of society that said “Hey, we really want to do this thing, but we really just need the highest prime number possible! Why won’t anyone find that for us?” Then I’d say OK.

You’ve got a guy out to beat a record and get his name on the books here. Useless.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 hours ago

That segment exists. That’s literally why they are continually trying to find larger primes.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 hours ago

No idea, I’m neither a cryptographer nor mathematician. All I know is that they’re used somehow. Something about multiplying two large primes to get a big number. Apparently it’s a challenge to factor that number to derive the original primes, and that challenge is what makes breaking a cryptographic algorithm difficult.

• AlotOfReading@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 hours ago

Any cryptography you’re likely to encounter uses fixed size primes over a residue ring for performance reasons. These superlarge primes aren’t relevant for practical cryptography, they’re just fun.

• just_another_person@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              10 hours ago

Well allow me to retort:

There isn’t a CPU on this planet that will digest this number in any meaningful way out to this decimal. Not as a whole at least.

That’s why this was clearly computed on a GPU. They’re good at that.

We also have news of the first stages of prime numbers being cracked on Quantum Computers with amazing efficiency. So whatever this number is will be useless soon.