Android:

New Youtube Clients with Material 3 Design:

Old Youtube Clients with old design:

Android Browser Options:

Firefox Option:

Limited to a selection of pre-approved extensions (Ublock Origin is included in said list); however, you can get around this by using Firefox Nightly and enabling developer settings, which allows you to add a custom list of extensions, which can include any extension for desktop Firefox, including things like SponsorBlock. (Credits to https://lemmy.world/u/Pr0phet )

Mull Option:

For TVs:

IOS:

For PCs:

Brave Option:

Firefox Option:

Windows:

Linux:

MAC OS:

Instance Sign-In support (No Google Login): Clipious, Libretube, Lighttube, Freetube

Google Login support: SmartTubeNext

• avocadobaby@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m out of the loop, is there a reason to move away from revanced or is this just to give other options?

• krush_groove@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

His happens to me now and then, the video will stop playing after a minute or so. So I update ReVanced and it usually works again.

• QuazarOmega@lemy.lol
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  10 months ago

You go through the usual patching process, only you shouldn’t have to reinstall but simply click on the newly generated APK and update in place

• JokklMaster@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

Do you have to reinstall the manager to update? I was looking for a way to update but I’m not sure how.

Edit: Nevermind I saw how. I think last time I checked there wasn’t an update available.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Mine broke and I couldn’t get it working again.

So I ITed the hell out of it. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, and now it’s working again.

No idea why that worked or what the problem was. Although I have noticed that apps installed via f-droid are hit and miss when it comes to updating correctly, so perhaps it tried to update and got stuck?

• Pr0phet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Firefox on Android allows extensions*. So Firefox + Ublock Origin + YouTube mobile site.

*Limited to a selection of pre-approved extensions (Ublock Origin is included in said list); however, you can get around this by using Firefox Nightly and enabling developer settings, which allows you to add a custom list of extensions, which can include any extension for desktop Firefox, including things like SponsorBlock.

• Erunn@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

This! Given the premiss that you still use YouTube and not invidious or piped, there’s no need to have another app on your cellphone (unless you really like it, and enjoy the app customization that revanced allows to for instance).

Mull + uBlock Origin+ SponsorBlock + script in uBlock to hide Shorts, I feel you don’t need anything else :)

• Ⓑⓡⓞⓚⓔⓝ@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I was thinking about this yesterday: How come only SmartTube has proper Google login, while other Third party wrappers don’t.

It would be awesome to use NewPipe with Google login. It’s so fast and lightweight compared to the official YouTube based apps.

• kratoz29@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah it is weird that only STN gets it… I won’t complain though, my YT usage would drop more than half if I couldn’t log in with it 😅

• m-p{3}@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

NewPipe cannot use the YouTube API, so it resorts to scrapping the website. That comes with some limitations, including the ability to sign-in.

• Stephen304@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

What version of the YouTube app is yours based on and if you used revanced manager, which patches did you apply? Mine recently stopped playing past 1:09 on any video, using revanced manager 1.8.0 to patch youtube APK 18.19.35 with client spoof, hide shorts, ads, sponsorblock, dislike, spoof app version, and hide video ads among other minor tweaks.

I figured revanced was just kill finally so I started using newpipe (trying to get used to the UI but if i can keep patching YT apk I’ll probably keep doing that)

• TooMuchVanced@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

You need to use version 18.23.35 or newer basically the newest supported version when you get to the patch selection just tap the default option and patch it then everything should work fine.

• Stephen304@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yep I got it, just needed to update manager with the update that landed yesterday and re patch the recommended version. I had given up since it wasn’t working for the past couple of weeks and manager wasn’t showing any updates available.

• ekjp@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Update your manager and it’ll tell you what version of YouTube apk you should download. Or go to mobilism.me and download a precompiled version. It works fine.

• Stephen304@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Ah no need. It looks like the manager update from yesterday fixed it. It wasn’t showing any updates available this morning.

• Dizzy Devil Ducky@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I have the same problem with vids not loading but just decided to load the vids into newpipe or pipepipe to watch them. A convoluted solution to an issue we shouldn’t have, but it works.

• Stephen304@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

It turns out I just needed to update manager with the update that landed yesterday and re patch with the recommended YouTube APK version and it seems to be working again.

I’m glad I have all my subscriptions loaded into newpipe now though so I can use it in a pinch if things break again. I hope the newpipe rewrite makes the UI nicer though because it is a little rough.