I’ve been reading that BlueSky has reached critical mass and is snowballing well at the moment. I suspect it has drawn people away from the fedi and back into the loving embrace of venture capitalists.

• EnderMB@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    48 minutes ago

BlueSky already annoys me because someone took my name for an inactive account. It’s why I chose Mastodon over BlueSky initially.

With that said, Mastodon has several glaring issues:

• Federation, in general, solves a problem that very few people have. People don’t want to pick an app or an instance out of dozens. They want the prescribed experience, and then they want to tailor to their preferences.
    • It’s dead. There is interaction, but if you set up an account, follow some people, reply to some stuff, you’ll probably get maybe 1-2 followers? The interaction seems stuck at a few people.
    • There are a lot of bots, which in itself can be useful, but when several are there to maintain archives of Twitter accounts onto Mastodon it just adds to the deadness.
    • It doesn’t offer anything new or interesting over BlueSky or Twitter. It’s just a clone.
    • Humour hasn’t really made it’s way onto Mastodon. It’s all very serious stuff, and many people like social media to look at dumb shit.

With that said, BlueSky is growing, but it’s still a minnow.

• Sl00k@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 hour ago

Used Mastodon for two days. Not a great platform imo. Been using Bluesky for a few months and having a decent time, but sometimes it’s hard getting fed the content I want (not sure if it exists in general there).

Also have been a decently heavy Twitter user since 2013 ish

• xapr@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 hours ago

I’m sticking to Mastodon because I don’t want to give into yet another corporate platform to eventually end up with the same results as Twitter and Reddit. Most people are on Twitter/Reddit/Bluesky? Who cares? Enough people are on Mastodon and Lemmy.

• kyub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 hours ago

No.

Communication/Social Media isn’t for corporations to do what they want with it, or to manipulate their users. It needs a neutral, open platform. That means open source servers and clients and protocols.

I find it worrying how so many people noticed the decline of Twitter happening live and now continue to move to the next corporate, closed-down platform. Until the next time, I guess…

• CAVOK@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

I have a mastodon account, but using it feels like shouting into the void so I don’t post much.

• TriflingToad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      45 minutes ago

Shouting into the void is how most platforms are tbh.

In order of bad to good:

Tumblr:

Twitter: (doesn’t scale well but there are a ton more that have 0)

Pinterest: I made 1 post and it got 0 likes.

YouTube: pretty good actually

Reddit: the best, can’t include image bc I deleted my account but made a meme and it got ~3,000 upvotes

• technomad@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 hours ago

I feel like I used to have that same feeling too, and I think that may be the wrong mindset to have about how to use it. I think it’s almost like a subconscious expectation that corporate social media has trained into us, which has been draining our drive for healthy interactions online.

I’m still mostly a lurker on Mastodon, but I’m trying to see the platform as more of an open way to broadcast yourself to certain audiences. I’m trying to realize it’s potential in how it can allow healthy, self-perpetuating interactions in a way that’s kind of different from the types of interactions you get from content aggregators.

I’ve noticed that it kind of builds on itself over time, if you continue to use it and continue to browse the explore feeds and stuff like that. Anyway, maybe don’t give up on it just yet?

• EnderMB@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        46 minutes ago

I don’t mean this in a disrespectful way, but when the argument is that it’s not empty because “you’re not using it right” the battle is kinda already lost.

Fundamentally, I don’t disagree, but it’s definitely a platform issue rather than a user issue.

• nimpnin@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

No and I don’t have any intentions to. It being a company means it has or it will have ads, and I have no interest in seeing more ads that I already have to.

• discoplasm@piefed.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

nah i left mastodon so i could have my own sharkey instance instead 😎

i do have a bluesky account but i don’t feel compelled to post on there much tbh. it’s fine, but i found it a lot harder to actually find interaction there even when i was making effort. also the feed system is balls (many feeds i use are frequently broken) and they only recently implemented hashtags, which almost nobody seems to use? there are definitely things i like about it too (the more casual vibe, for one) but at the end of the day it is another corporate platform, which i would prefer to spend minimal time on.

• TheFeatureCreature@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 hours ago

I gave Mastodon a couple of tries but I don’t think I lasted more than a few days in either instance. I’m just really not into that style of social media, regardless of who the provider of the service is. I do not understand the point of it nor how to “correctly” interact with it.

I also found Mastodon to be extremely confusing and so has every person that I have directed to it. Mastodon’s website and docs do a very poor job explaining how it works to people who are not already in-the-know about federated services. Lemmy was a bit confusing too but I had a much easier time grasping it - although that could be because I have more experience with Reddit-styled websites.

I wish it all the best because it seems like people are just making moves to other VC-owned, private, enshittified platforms that will abuse/exploit their users. I want Mastodon to succeed but often feel like it doesn’t doing much to help its own case.

• kirbowo808@kbin.melroy.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

I refuse to support a corporate platform, whilst also adding nothing new to the agenda as well to make me want to go on Bluesky, so therefore I’m sticking with Mastodon/Fedi atm. Much more ethical that way.

Also much more fun and positive too with liked minded people on there too (except the Israel/Palestine stuff, which seems to be super divisive for some odd reasons in which it really shouldn’t be controversial at all but I digress tbh)

Also a way to say “fuck you” to Jack Dorsey too, who has ruined the internet, thanks to him tbh lol despite not being part of the Bluesky board anymore.

• Chainweasel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 hours ago

Neither, I never used Twitter in the first place so I didn’t need a Twitter alternative.
    I think the Lemmy/Reddit style of posts and comments is much more intuitive and makes for easier engagement than the Twitter style of rolling status updates.

• scsi@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 hours ago

Along this line of thinking, I use Lemmy and Mastodon as complementary rather than competing, but not in the way people want/use X/Bluesky. Lemmy (reddit) is great for the use as you outline, Mastodon (and Pixelfed) supply a visual experience if you make it work that way and don’t expect/want an X like experience (so think more Instagram). Lemmy lacks multireddits which could solve some of this Mastodon use case, on reddit I have a multireddit named “Gallery” which combines a dozen picture-only subreddits.

One can follow hashtags like #photography or #catsofmastodon, discover like-minded profiles who only post pictures and minimal talk/chatter (a lot of actual skilled photographers are present) and follow those profiles. It provides an experience that rounds out Lemmy, but I do admit I would love a “gallery” like view in the apps to streamline the hashtag viewing (Pixelfed does this specifically, but people are spread all over the planet - Mastodon proper pulls in federated data easier, IMHO)

• missingno@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

No. I don’t trust another corporate-owned platform, and I don’t trust the way they pay lip service to federation while still making everything dependent on one central server they control.

• Adderbox76@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

I made a Bluesky account and I’ll generally try to post to it the same amount as my Mastodon account. But despite the so called “exodus” from Twitter, I don’t find Bluesky to have any of the people I’m interested in following any more than Mastodon does. So it’s a wash.

I’m keeping it around to see if more of my friends show up. But that’s about all.

• Kaldo@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

Bsky has actual people from twitter I wanted to follow that never bothered with mastodon

• osaerisxero@kbin.melroy.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 hours ago

This is it for me. I don’t ever post on Twitte/Mastodon/Bluesky, it’s entirely read only for me, and the feeds I want to follow are finally starting to migrate to Bluesky. They never considered Mastadon.

• kobra@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 hours ago

This, plus bsky seems to have a more active sports culture compared to mastodon so, although I’ve been in mastodon for a couple years, I’m already kind of enjoying bsky more.

Caveat: I’ve literally only been on bsky for less than a week so the activity over there could absolutely be temporary, we’ll see.

• The Hobbyist@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

I’m following bsky’s progress. They have shared things which on a technical standpoint and from a social network empowerment perspective are very interesting. The portability of the profiles and the fully custom moderation layers are particularly noteworthy and seem to go far beyond what I’ve seen in other social networks. Even in mastodon apparently it is not possible to port a profile from one instance to another without losing all your post history (ente.io tried this recently and got caught by this). And for moderation, you have to rely on your instance moderation rather than personalized one. And the annotation part of bsky is also interesting to me.