• TheFeatureCreature@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 days ago

As a cyclist that drives, this was an interesting, although unsurprising read.

The expectation drivers place on other drivers is that they must be going as fast as physically possible at all times regardless of road rules. This creates an environment where motorists are literally breaking the law constantly. Other drivers will literally harass or even put your life in jeopardy if you drive the speed limit. Going 10-20kph over the limit is expected. Rolling through stop signs is expected. Cutting off buses is expected. Drivers do not tolerate anything that will even remotely slow them down for the tiniest fraction of a moment.

and yet if a cyclist rolls through a stop sign at an empty intersection then drivers will deeply criticise them to a level they never would if that same person was behind a wheel instead of handlebars. Other drivers are certainly disrespectful to each other but the hatred drivers have for cyclists is, quite frankly, goddamn disturbing and terrifying. Drivers will regularly drive in ways endanger the lives of cyclists even if the cyclist is following the rules to the letter. There are so many helmet-cam videos of drivers intentionally intimidating cyclists or even taking faux swipes at them - and these are just the ones that were recorded. It happens constantly.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the cyclist-drivers were significantly faster at detecting the appearance of fellow cyclists.

Cyclists that drive tend to have a unspoken understanding and respect for each other because we know the bullshit that we have to put up with. We also have a better understanding of the roads from the additional perspective and know what areas are dangerous, where to watch for cyclists, what laws cyclists need to follow, etc. I cycled for years before I got behind a wheel. This meant I already knew the laws and layout of my local roads before I even began.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

As someone who currently has to drive for work the hatred towards cyclists is a major contributor to my opposition to cars. They oppose bike lanes and trains because they dislike bicycles and public transit, despite bike lanes and trains literally improving the lives of everyone behind the wheel by being the biggest reducers of traffic when properly implemented. It’s insane and it seems to be an alienation from fellow travelers.

• NarrativeBear@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 days ago

The more alternative transportation options we provide in our cities and towns frees up that space for the remaining vehicular traffic.

I have no idea why a large part of motorists does not see this concept. Instead they seem to fight against it in their own best interests.

If you commute to work in a car and there are another 100+ road users with you all headed in the exact same direction, would you prefer them all to be in individual cars? Or would you prefer a few of those people take the tram, a few take a bus, a few hop on the subway, a few cycle, and the remaining few who can walk?

• jjjalljs@ttrpg.network
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

I have no idea why a large part of motorists does not see this concept. Instead they seem to fight against it in their own best interests.

It’s a common problem in humanity: seeing someone as an out group and hating them. That’s all. Facts don’t really matter. Cyclists are The Other and they Are Bad.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

Me either. Even if I’m stuck in a car I want people on trains and bikes and all that. Multiple modes of transportation allows for a variety of use cases and it reduces traffic in a way nothing else can. I hate rush hour traffic, what I’d love is for a full train instead of a full road. Or like 20 bicyclists on a dedicated path next to me.