In many parts of Europe, it’s common for workers to take off weeks at a time, especially during the summer. Envious Americans say it’s time for the U.S. to follow suit.

Some 66% of U.S. workers say companies should adopt extended vacation policies, like a month off in August, in their workplaces, according to a Morning Consult survey of 1,047 U.S. adults.

• Nurloc@feddit.nu
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Well… factorys and stuff usually close down entirely for 3 weeks… but stores etc is still open… in sweden we also have alot of young people who have 10+ weeks of holiday who works a few weeks in the summer to help out, get some cash and work experience… ita highly regulated though… no shift work, no dangerous work etc… So society still runs like normal… but perhaps a bit slower…

• FlyingPiisami@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Am from Europe, I can confirm. The whole continent turns into a paleolithic society for the month of August.

• its_just_me@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Well crucial services like public transport and water keep running. Some people also take off in July, or September if they don’t have kids. But life definitely slows down in the summer. Lots of smaller businesses, especially restaurants will often just be closed for a few weeks. Large grocery chains stay open of course. It all depends on the amount of manpower to be able to spread out vacation periods.

• Brynting@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

In Sweden atleast we usually get 25 vacation days and are entitled to 4 weeks in a row. So you can take a month off if your employer accepts it at the time you want it. Not everybody takes the same 4 weeks and not everyone takes 4 weeks in a row. I took 2 weeks last month and I’m saving 2 weeks for christmas.

• Brynting@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

You usually get 25 days and you can use them whenever or wherever you like, as long as your employer aprooves of it. People usually only use 20 of the 25 days as you can save 5 days each year. There is a limit on the amount of saved vacation days and also how long you can save them for.

With sicknes we dont get paid at all the first sick day but after that we get 80% pay, after one work week we need confirmation from a doctor if we need to stay home longer.

• TheInsane42@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

In the Netherlands, people get 4 weeks mandatory paid leave (set by law), which is valid until july next year and usually 1 week ‘optional’ which is valid longer. (when working full time, 40h/week, when working 36 or 38h there will be more days leave) Schools close for 6 weeks during the summer, when it’s hottest. (august) Also there is a 3 week period in each region for building companies to be closed. This period falls within the summer holiday of the schools.

Most workers with children (and those working at building companies) take their leave during the summer, when it’s usually quiet anyway. Those without the need to go on holiday during those periods, usually stay at work and catch up with the work that was left behind by those that are on holiday. (and enjoy their holiday when it’s cheaper, outside the high season)

Employers are required to allow personnel to take at least 3 weeks off, when requested, as personnel tend to get overworked when they can’t wind down, which is not beneficial to the company as well costs the country money. (loads) On the other hand, personnel can be forced to take time off when they are overworked and have paid leave left. Mandatory leave usually expires after 18 months with no financial compensation (unless the company didn’t allow leave, which is against the rules anyway), optional leave expires after 5 years and gets paid out.

It takes planning, but apart from schools, the building industry and very small businesses, nothing closes. This is well, as nobody would want to be on leave all together, the black saturdays we have are terrible enough as they are. (started as a French phrase for the busiest saturdays on the road due to holiday traffic and spread across Europe)

• krist2an@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

In Estonia we get 28 vacation days every year, and companies are free to give out additional free days. For example I get three additional health days per year. It’s compulsory to have one vacation that is at least 14 days long, and the rest can be used as you wish.

• Erik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah it’s false, at least for The Netherlands (as that is my point of reference). Maybe you can have the whole month off if you save up your days but the majority of the working population does do some work in August.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

The thing is if you try and stay on work in August (Which is totally an option, the officers are not normally actually physically closed) you end up butting up against the fact that everyone else has left, and you can’t talk to anyone. So unless your job can be done 100% by you with zero input from anybody else you can’t get any work done.

Other companies and other departments are closed, so you just end up not doing anything anyway, so you may as well be off.

Besides is the one time of the year that you can guarantee all your friends / family will be available at the same time to go on holiday together.

• szczuroarturo@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Its not exatcly how it works( at least in poland ). You usualy get x amount of free days( 20 or 25 depending on how much you worked )that you can take plus free days for public reasons weddings,blood donation etc… Its just that its usualy june/july/August. Some companies opt out to just give all their employees days off on the same day since they cant really function if half of their worforce wants to go on vacation at the same time and those that need to function all the time do the nescessary magic to somehow maintain the nescessary pepole. In essence its not mandatory but rather customary and non tourist cities( or non tourist areas ) in Poland(europe) kinda die off for a month or two.

• gummybootpiloot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Hey, no you get to pick when you take that “month off” I get 26 days leave + bank holidays. I get to pick how to spend the 26 days. Bank holidays are mandatory. So I could take more than a month off in a row if I wanted to.

• Rinox@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Italy here. Usually factories and many offices shut down for at least 2 weeks in August. Essential services obviously stay open.

Some other services may or may not decide to close, like a butcher may decide to close for a few weeks in the summer. Same for some bars/restaurants etc. Not all of them, some of them.

Also there’s a huge difference between where you are. If you live in the industrialized north, then what I described it’s more or less true, but if you live in the south, it’s all completely different. August becomes the busiest period for the tourist-centric south, with bars and restaurants working at maximum capacity, beaches and cities all full of tourists and service workers actually increase in this period.

It’s obviously not 100% all society shuts down, but if you are an American company trying to do business with Europe in August, just keep in mind that lots of stuff will be postponed to September.