link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 hours ago

How is this keeping to open source philosophies in any way?

“No, you can’t work on this, you’re Russian.”

I don’t support the Russian Government or its actions in any way, but these devs are probably not part of it. They maintain drivers for fucking ASUS hardware.

• MrMakabar@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 hours ago

Because there are both US and EU laws preventing code from countries deemed a threat. Torvalds is paid by the Ameircan Linux Foundation, which has to work under US law and he himself is an EU citizen. Also a lot of other developers are from those countries and if they do not comply, they could get into some pretty bad legal trouble.

So it pretty much boils down to kick out the Russians or kick out all US and EU citizens and well we see Linus choice.

• GamingChairModel@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        43 minutes ago

That’s the start, of course. One could always play good cop, bad cop: “I have to do this to comply with the law, sorry, there’s nothing else I can do.” What Linus has done here is play bad cop, bad cop: “the law says I have to obey sanctions, and by the way I support the sanctions and this move anyway.”

• Vilian@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 minutes ago

He didn’t banned the Russians when the war started, he could, and probably wanted, but didn’t so what’s your point?

• Zomg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 hours ago

It’s not that hard of a choice either ofc, given one is essentially required.