• themoonisacheese@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Hank’s razor:

Teenagers from families wealthy enough to supervise early adolescents more come from families wealthy enough to get them through higher education.

• CaptainEffort@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

This is completely different though. You can’t assume that the results from a study about supervision would somehow perfectly overlap with a study about wealth. They’d be two entirely different studies.

• thetreesaysbark@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

If they’re 35 now we’re talking 20+ years ago. So late 90s/early 2000s when iPads were not yet a thing.

The same study may show up something different in a decade or two.

Also, I wager that most wealthy families are not iPad families but I could be wrong on that. I’d say there are just more iPad families now so they’re very noticeable.

• themoonisacheese@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Ipad: $2000 if you splurge

Supervising a young teen for 3-4 years every day: somehow less than $2000? Do you have any idea how expensive it is not be working?

• Potatos_are_not_friends@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I didn’t have much parental supervision because we were poor. My dad wasn’t around much, my mom was always working. And I only got where I am because I got my shit together and hustled my ass off to become a programmer.

My coworkers… Not so much. One had a dad who was a computer scientist. The other was a college professor so she forced him to like it and it finally clicked. Half the team had solid families supporting them.

The rest of my family… Many of them live off of food stamps or work min-wage jobs. I’m not mad. It’s just it’s hard to parent when she was working 80 hours a week to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table.