• Victor Villas@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 hours ago

Ever had a moment where you needed to go buy groceries but couldn’t pay because the payment system is down nation wide?

Never. If it did happen, it’s almost certain that I wouldn’t have the cash on me to pay for it anyway 🤷‍♂️I’d rather not walk around with more than $100 in cash on me.

since a merchant can’t refuse legal tender

Where does that come from? AFAICT there’s no law that requires businesses to accept cash as a form of payment. Not in Canada, at least.

• Croquette@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

You are right about the fact that businesses are not legally obligated to accept cash. I was wrong on that.

As for e-payment not working, it happened to me at least 3 times since last year, and it fucking sucks.

I don’t like to walk with a lot of cash on me, but if I know that there is a outage of payment systems, I can at least use the cash I keep at home to pay for my basic needs.

More options is good in any case. We are already tracked enough as it is, so I understand people that want to use cash.

• Victor Villas@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 hours ago

As for e-payment not working, it happened to me at least 3 times since last year, and it fucking sucks.

Wow, I see. I would not have estimated that many.