• wise_pancake@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 hour ago

Also this doesn’t say anything about the Earth.

Plus you can give a liberal reading of the bible to be:

1. god created the heaven and the earth. God created the heavenly bodies.
    2. God created the sky - earths atmosphere and climate
    3. God separates oceans - creates continental forms, and plant based life
    4. God creates the moon and sun and stars. This one seems out of order to me… maybe just the earth and solar system stabilize. I don’t know how plants exist without the sun, so maybe it’s microbes or something.
    5. God creates birds and sea creatures. Maybe birds are dinosaurs.
    6. God creates modern land animals, then creates man and woman. That makes sense, mankind is certainly new with only a few hundred thousand years of records before civilization starts.

That doesn’t have to imply the earth is 4000 years old. Even the original wording could be read as eon instead of day.

• krashmo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

The Bible is a couple thousand chapters long. The creation story is the first two chapters. It’s pretty obviously only attempting to establish that God created the universe in some ambiguous way and move on with the story. That doesn’t stop people from inferring all sorts of things from what is essentially a poem.

• Buelldozer@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Even the original wording could be read as eon instead of day.

Most people don’t know that the Hebrew word “yom” (day) can be and is used to denote wildly different lengths of time.

If anyone is interested you can read a fine destruction of the stupid “Young Earth” argument at the link I provided.

The “Young Earth” people, both Christian and Jew, are trying to shoe horn something into the Bible that doesn’t fit and doesn’t need to exist. It’s nothing more than a desperate attempt to hold onto an old, wrong headed, and man-made theory.

• wise_pancake@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 hour ago

I skimmed that link and it’s pretty interesting, I’ll have to spend more time on it. I definitely liked the part at the end about God being the observer in this context, so what’s a day to him.

• wise_pancake@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Thanks for that

I don’t see why God must be incompatible with evolution or the Big Bang or really any of science. God created us to be clever, surely that includes using logic and science to learn about the world.

Personally I’m agnostic and I try not to judge people. I do judge people who dismiss science and decide faith alone is better.

• Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 hours ago

The original wording can’t be read as eon instead of a day because plants and trees could’t last for an eon before the sun was created.