• EndlessNightmare@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 hours ago

and America funding it.

And absolutely gaslighting anyone who calls anyone out for it.

I’m really sick of the whole “criticism of Israel is antisemitism” rhetoric. NO IT ISN’T. And pushing this rhetoric harder isn’t going to make me support them either. If anything, I’m going to see it as an increasing threat to my First Amendment right to free speech.

My criticism of the Chinese government is not hateful towards the Chinese Americans in my community. It’s also not hateful towards the Chinese people living in China or anywhere else in the world. It’s a criticism of the leadership, which is fair game. Ditto for criticism of Iran, Russia, or any other nation I can think of.

But criticize the Israeli government and suddenly it’s a problem. There’s less pushback for criticizing the U.S. government!

• SoleInvictus@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 hours ago

I’m really sick of the whole “criticism of Israel is antisemitism” rhetoric.

It’s just playing dirty. Israel, much like modern conservative politicians, doesn’t care about how it achieves its goals. World War II has much of the western world hypersensitive to antisemitism, so conflating criticism of the Israeli government with antisemitism has been an easy way to stifle discourse.

• IcePee@lemmy.beru.co
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 hours ago

Criticising Israel can be antisemitic. Just check out the IHRA definition of antisemitism . Basically you can’t say that:

• Israel is a racist endeavour
      • Comparing Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.
      • Say that they use murder (especially of Christians) for ritual purposes.