• kitnaht@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 hours ago

I collect these into a database I run locally out of a bad habit I had as a teenager. Back in the AOL days you could ‘Email-bomb’ someone, and rightfully it sounds exactly like it is – you’d just send them tons and tons and tons of email.

Well, turns out - that’s pretty easy to detect and block. So I came up with a better way, a more permanent way; and probably the reason so many people see their email address as a private/privacy thing now – You simply submit their email address to every known spam address in existence.

Now, you’ve got an infinite amount of spam being thrown their way, 24/7, at super high volumes, for essentially - what is the entire lifetime of that account. I haven’t done it in the past 20 years or so, and I don’t have any of my old ‘progz’ for it, but I figure one day when I need it again, it will be invaluable.

• halcyoncmdr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 hours ago

Marked as Spam, I’ll never see it again, and if enough people do they’ll get the entire email service blocked by your email provider since they’re actively hosting spam. And there’s not much more annoying and difficult than trying to remove a legitimate service from spam lists because some users abused it.