• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

Reminder that the reason that GOG is DRM-free and offers offline installers is because it was started by former pirates (in a sense).

If there is a game you love, buy it from GOG and archive the offline installer. If it isn’t available on GOG, pirate it. The number of games that have disappeared is too damn high.

• Miles O'Brien@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

I need to get a couple more external drives and make at least one Faraday cage to keep one in.

All my installers are on a 1tb hdd that sits in my dresser. Made it a lot easier to put my games on my new laptop since they were installed before I even got to hooking it up to the internet.

• JPAKx4@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 minutes ago

Beware of bit rot, hard drives are meant to be powered occasionally to hold data. Using a recycled computer as a NAS is a great low cost solution.

• mipadaitu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 hours ago

Copyright should only exist if the entire work, including the entire code base, is held in escrow by the copyright office.

If you don’t do that, you don’t get protection. This is literally the reason why patents exist, you tell us how you did it, and we prevent anyone else from copying that method for a period of time.

• otp@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 minutes ago

A collection of humans could form a company for ease of managing and sharing the copyright.

• Zachariah@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 minutes ago

But then they might try to claim the copyright lasts until the last one dies and then keep swapping in young people to keep it going forever. Pretty much like they do today.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 hours ago

So when Bethesda makes a new Skyrim, Todd Howard should personally own the whole thing?

• Zachariah@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 hours ago

Yes, or parts of the game owned by different individuals. They can have a contract to use their intellectual property only for Bethesda’s uses.

Even if it was owned by one person at the company, that’s no different than the company owning it. But since it’s owned by a finite being instead of an eternal entity, so it makes it clearer that copyright should also be finite.

• granolabar@kbin.melroy.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

Companies will use the state to oppress taxpayers… We are not permitted to use legal structures for common benefit while owner class is able to get tax exceptions for lobbying.

Nice system

• recursive_recursion they/them@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 hours ago

Does anyone else also think that buying Steam games makes even less sense now that this has happened and Steam has clarified that we’re only buying licenses?

I’m asking this as it feels like right now Itch.io might be the only company that allows devs to directly sell and share their binaries/source code and even then, since Itch.io is under the MIT license there’s no guarantee that they wouldn’t go source available and then proprietary afterwards.

I feel like as gamers, we’re kind of in a shitty situation atm as old games are highly unlikely to go FOSS, Steam’s not “selling” games (they legally can’t say that anymore), and the last potential solution isn’t guaranteed :/

It’s hard to see games preservation going anywhere in North America with this ruling. We got dealt a real shit hand man

Sorry for the rambling, I’m just real unhappy about the state of the gaming ecosystem

• waitmarks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      51 minutes ago

You were never actually able to buy a game, it has always been a “license” to play it. Even for physical cartridges and disks. The difference being, legally speaking, if you actually owned it, you could make and sell copies of it or take the assets from the game and make a new game with them and then sell that. Owning a license means you can play it, but cant make copies or reuse the assets.

Even with physical media, that license could in theory be taken away if the rights holder chose too. Realistically it would be impossible to enforce since there is no way of tracking down all the physical copies, so no one has ever tried to do it. But legally it works exactly the same as on steam. The only change is that a new california law is going to require steam, and other stores, to be transparent about it, but nothing is actually different.

Even on GOG, where they give you a DRM free binary, if the rights holder doesnt want it available anymore, they have to take it away. You wouldn’t be able to download it and if you had saved a copy of the DRM free binary, playing it would legally be the same as piracy at that point.

Despite all of this, game preservation is alive and well and isn’t going anywhere.

• wizardbeard@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

Sorry to break it to you, but this has been the state of games purchasing/preservation since at least the 90s. Check instruction manuals for old cartridge games, most have disclaimers in the back that you only purchased a license.

The bright side is that despite all of that, games preservation is still going quite strong. Just through piracy and not entirely legal means. This really doesn’t change anything, except online only games won’t be as easy to preserve as people had hoped. This isn’t a step back in any way. It’s just a confirmation that things are still what they have been for decades.

• Miles O'Brien@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 hours ago

I only buy games on steam when they’re like $5 or less.

I have less than $200 spent in total over the last 16/17 years on steam, and I don’t see myself breaking the $5 limit.

I even pay GOG non sale prices if a steam sale jogs my memory of a game I want.

Sailing the high seas isn’t feasible right now since I don’t control the internet here and I’m not going to risk me not knowing something and landing the owner with potential legal trouble. But I will hopefully be dusting my hat off soon.