• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Well, the princess is downing a bottle of fortified wine, so it would seem that’s just par for the course.

• Diplomjodler@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

When I was 14, my parents ordered a bottle of wine in a restaurant and asked, if I wanted a glass. Nobody thought twice about it.

• ValenThyme@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

all around the world including in most US states minors are legally allowed alcohol with their parents consent.

In 8 US states minors can drink at restaurants with their parents permission but in practice you very rarely see it!

• cazssiew@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

I was smoking at 12 in France in 1999, I told tobacconists I was buying them for my mom. Pulled the same thing off in the states when I moved there 2 years later. And I was far from alone. These are far more recent (terrible, obviously) habits than you might think.

• Tar_Alcaran@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

In 1955, basically everyone smoked. Like 65% of Europe were smokers, and I do mean 65% of living humans of all ages.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 hours ago

Yah, my uncle lived to 94, smoked for 89 of those years. Pretty sure if we’d had a nuclear war in the 60s, that fucker would have still made it into his 80s.