I am surprised that Google spends so much time tackling custom ROMs via it’s Play Integrity API. If only they paid that much attention to say, curating the Play Store more, it had be much better for everyone

• Zak@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 hours ago

I think the main reason third-party ROMs aren’t more popular is that Google and certain app developers fuck with people who use them. The article addresses the difficulties later on, but comes up short in my view on just how much of a hassle it is for someone who isn’t a tech enthusiast who wants, for example to keep an older phone up to date for security reasons.

I think the main motivation for Google is limiting user control over the experience. More user control leads to unprofitable behaviors like blocking ads and tracking, which is also the motivation for recent changes to the Chrome web browser that make content blocking extensions less effective. In all cases, companies that try to take away user control claim the motivation is security, usually for the benefit of the user.

• BoofStroke@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

Got so tired of google pay breaking on crdroid that I got a credit card just to use my watch instead.

Still rocking a op7 pro on android 14.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 hour ago

There are different types of workaround but every single one of them is playing same cat and mouse game with Google. It works for a while, then it doesn’t, workaround is updated, it works, then it doesn’t, rinse and repeat.

I’m using a custom ROM but it’s so fucking tiring if I want to keep Google Wallet working. Fucking Google.