Hello,

This does not directly relate to android or android devices but as this seems to be one of the more active communities, I thought I should give it a shot here.

I’m Wondering why the USB C socket and plug have the geometry they have. To me, it seems like the more complex hardware is located in the socket which is located on the more expensive device compared to the cable. Firebolt (is that the apple standard’s name?) seem to handle it the opposite by having the flat plug with bare contacts.

Background is that I have frequently had issues with charging my phone due to dust or other dirt getting suck in the socket. Lacking adequate household items, I had to use a small screw driver to get the dirt out, which I think in general a bad idea.

Are there any technical reasons to have the flat contact in the center of the usb socket rather than the plug?

• CameronDev@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

One benefit (that I have no sources for, but have seen it mentioned before), is that the USB C socket/cable setup is designed such that the cables wear out instead of the socket. The moving parts (the bendable contacts) are in the cable, so if/when they break. You throw out the cable instead of the phone.

I don’t really know how it works for Lightning (Apple) cables, but presumably they have also considered this when they designed their connector. I haven’t personally heard of iPhone sockets dying early, so maybe it doesn’t really matter?

I have used sewing needles to get stuff out of my phone’s socket, and that has been fine, but it’s probably unwise. Thinning out a toothpick with a knife is probably safer, and has also worked for me.

• Margot Robbie@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You are exactly right, and to add on to this, usually, the pin contacts on the plug and sockets are made from different copper alloys, with the plug side optimized for repeated mechanical stress and the socket side optimized for high conductivity.