I noticed my consumption has decased quite a bit. I would visit regularly to watch content from few channels. I would probably still visit every so often to watch the new videos. But the experience has become more deliberate and conscious. I go to YouTube because I want to go and watch something specific. Mindlessly browsing and watching additional content is harder.

This is good progress from Google to get off their platform :)

• NightAuthor@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Idk, I watch a lot, a variety too. I thumbs content, mark not interested. And my recommendations are an absurd over representation of the last 3 or so topics I’ve recently viewed mixed with a small selection of my subscriptions it’s decided I want to watch.

• chaorace@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah that happens to me too, but I’m often happy with that because it fits well with my personal tendency to hyperfixate on new topics for a while.

What I like to do is ride out a trend until I lose interest and then start Not Interesteding them. It doesn’t take long for them to fall out of my feed and from that point on only surface every once in a while if a particularly strong video is currently making the rounds.

Don’t hesitate to throw out negative feedback even for stuff you feel lukewarm about. Youtube can take the hint without going overboard and forgetting that interest too completely.