“Some of you may be willing to die, but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make” but unironically

Edit: The user has since apologised https://hexbear.net/comment/3848285

• Egon [they/them]@hexbear.netOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Well first off: if we’re just making shit up, you might as well get creative with it. The Russians are actually harvesting the Orgon energy of the Ukrainians in order to fuel a massive necromantic rite that will imbue a thousand golems with life, which will create an indestructible army of russian super soldiers.

Secondly: The Russians aren’t actually just bombing hospitals and murdering children, I don’t know where you get these claims from, but you might’ve confused Russia with the US and Ukraine with Iraq. Even if the Russians were copying the American Shock and Awe strategy of warfare, that still doesn’t really change anything does it? The Ukrainians still can’t win, the longer they fight, the worse their negotiating position will be. But you think they still should fight.
    So just to be clear: You think the Ukrainians should continue to be killed by the Russian military as they attack the defensive positions? You want this war to continue until all Ukrainians are dead? I just want to be sure I understand your position, which seems to be that you want all the Ukrainians to die and then Russia can just pick the corpse of the country as it wants.

• lesseva96@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Wow dude, this little number you’ve written here has so many logical fallacies and projections.

First of all, in no way am I defending the US invasions of the Middle East. Shit was bad and unnecessary.

Second of all, Russians are absolutely bombing hospitals and buildings full of children. They bombed a building in Mariupol that was used to house children and had that written on the roof. I’m also worried that they’re kidnapping children and robbing them of their Ukranian identity.

I think the war should continue for as long as Ukrainians are willing to fight. And not because I’m a cartoon villain that wants them all to die; I think any deal with Russia’s mafia leadership isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. The Russians have already stomped all over the Budapest memorandum that guaranteed Ukraine’s territorial sovereignty, why would they honor any other deal? At best the Russians would use the peacetime to resupply and rearm and try again later.

• 420blazeit69 [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

First of all, in no way am I defending the US invasions of the Middle East. Shit was bad and unnecessary.

The people who lied to you about those wars are telling you today’s war is totally a good one. Why would you believe them?

• lesseva96@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I don’t like being painted as someone who is told what to think. I do not think the Ukraine war is a “good one”, there are no “good” wars. I simply empathize more with the victims of imperialism and not the perpetrators of imperialism.

• BurgerPunk [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

That’s a challenge rating impossible. I see libs do this constantly. Invasion=imperialism for them, i think mostly because like you said, they want to use our words to sound more left wing even though they don’t know what they’re saying

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I wasn’t saying you were. Improve your reading comprehension.

Second of all, Russians are absolutely bombing hospitals and buildings full of children. They bombed a building in Mariupol that was used to house children and had that written on the roof.

I wasn’t saying they weren’t, improve your reading comprehension. I was saying they weren’t doing these things on purpose.

I’m also worried that they’re kidnapping children and robbing them of their Ukranian identity.

I’m worried they might conscript the tooth fairy. As other users have already noted in this very thread, Russia is actually contacting families in order to reconnect them with their children.

I think the war should continue for as long as Ukrainians are willing to fight.

You mean the Ukrainians that are being forcibly conscripted and prevented from leaving the country so they can be forcibly conscripted? Seems like they don’t want to fight if you ask me.

The Russians have already stomped all over the Budapest memorandum that guaranteed Ukraine’s territorial sovereignty, why would they honor any other deal?

The Budapest memorandum??? You have got to be kidding me. A 30-year old document written shortly after the collapse of the USSR is somehow worthy of discussion? And it’s Russia that should be critiqued for breaching it? Euromaidan was a coup of the Ukrainian government led by far right militias funded by the United States Department, which then installed their own puppet government with their picked stooges. This government then continually shelled another russian-speaking part of Ukraine for 8 years (in spite of other treaties I might add). The Budapest memorandum was already trampled by the United States and then Ukraine itself.
        Of course later treaties were written - like Minsk II, which was breached continually by Ukraine. Russia did seek diplomatic solutions before invading - which I think was an overreaction, but pretending it was unprovoked is silly.
        Yet you think Ukraine should be worried Russia won’t follow treaties?
        Of course I know what you will do, you will call me a bot or dismiss this as propaganda or drivel or whatever else. I also know what you won’t do: you wo t engage with the argument, and you won’t take the time to check it. You will dismiss it, because you are incapable of actually considering you might be misinformed.

Edit: And since we’re pulling treaties out of our ass, what of that of NATO encroachment? The agreement that NATO would not incorporate ex Soviet countries? That which had been broken, and which was being waved around at the time of the invasion, that’s of course nothing right? Because that different because we’re the ones doing it.

• Joe
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I wasn’t saying they weren’t, improve your reading comprehension. I was saying they weren’t doing these things on purpose.

Wait a sec, Egon. How would you know that? If you don’t, why claim it? There have been a lot of attacks on civilian infrastructure and reckless attacks in civilian areas. I’m not quite convinced that russia is as innocent as you seem to believe.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

There is no proof that Russia is deliberately targeting civilian infrastructure like hospitals. Likewise there is no proof it isn’t - how do you prove a negative?

We can however observe the slow pace in the beginning of the war, where Russia broke with modern doctrine of taking out critical infrastructure.

We can also look at the many long lasting sieges of large cities, where Russia made sure to create humanitarian corridors (the corridors that have received immense critique for being kidnapping operations somehow).

We can also think for ourselves: if Russia was deliberately targeting such buildings, why did it not do so at the start of the war, and why does it not target all of these building, or target them in such a way that they are permanently and completely destroyed?

What’s more likely: Russia is deliberately targeting schools and hospitals (but only kinda) in order to kill civilians because… Russia is just super evil? These deliberate acts of violence are carried out against a population that has shared a border with Russia for more than a century, with many russian citizens having family and friends in the country, yet Russia just wants to murder civilians.

OR Russia is fighting a war against an enemy that uses civilians as human shields and the war is often in large urban centres, which means that civilian targets are nigh impossible to completely avoid?

• Joe
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

Why would you think the best of russia to begin with? They send conscripts & mobilized citizens off to a war that didn’t need to happen. They prevent many of their own from leaving the country… it’s the poor who will suffer the most.

Why now and not in the beginning? I don’t know for sure, but wars often end when one side loses the will to fight … maybe they are trying to wear down the will of the Ukrainians and allies? If the Ukrainian media is to believed, it doesn’t seem to be working. It sounds like it will be a long one.

Edit: Your last link didn’t link to the original OHCHR report, and presents a one-sided view. You can find the proper report linked to from here: https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2022/07/high-commissioner-human-rights-high-numbers-civilian-casualties-ukraine

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

I try not to assume anything. Which is why I responded to you with observable facts.
                I then led these lead to ask you questions, which you fail to answer. You also fail to engage with the arguments presented to you, instead inventing a reality of your own whole cloth.
                Russia is not preventing people from leaving Ukraine is. Russia has, as I’ve said already ensured to create humanitarian corridors for which it has been critiqued. Russia isn’t the one using civilians as human shields, Ukraine is [1] [2].

I frankly find it insulting how you keep asking questions, get responses and then choose to write these half-assed replies barely responding to the content of what the other writes to you. Fuck you.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    10 months ago

Yeah good okay, keep doing this then, why would you ever want to argue in good faith, fuck me for assuming you weren’t just being a dumbass debatebro nitpicking bullshit. You linked to the press release by the way, and you linked in the edit after I responded, and the report still states they make use of human shields. But hey why argue in good faith, when you can be just like Ben Shapiro instead? Why ever discuss in good faith, you might learn something or change your perspective, or at least foster an environment where we can have am open exchange of knowledge and disagree on analysieswithout bad vibes. No this thing you’re doing is clearly the way forward.

Eat shit asshole

• SeventyTwoTrillion [he/him]@hexbear.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

maybe they are trying to wear down the will of the Ukrainians and allies? If the Ukrainian media is to believed, it doesn’t seem to be working.

the favorite thing that pro-Ukraine libs love to do is make up a goal for Russia out of thin air and then boast that they haven’t achieved it. as if they uniquely understand and can remotely probe the Slavic brain with their superior Western minds. If Ukraine puts combatants inside hospitals or schools, which they have done, then Russia is under no obligation to not hit them. clearly, Russia’s track record of not bombing hospitals or schools with civilians inside isn’t 100%, because that’s almost impossible to do in a war this size without clairvoyant abilities - there is always uncertainty. we don’t excuse those hits when they happen, but let’s also not pretend that Ukraine hasn’t been hitting Russian civilian buildings too.