Candela Obscura very much resembles another RPG.

This other game has you roll a pool of d6s and the value of the highest die sets your amount of pass/fail achieved.

This other game has a worksheet to track how well the team is advancing and tracks shared resources.

It also has rules for abstracting what tools the PCs brought along for the job.

There is a standard routine of play before a job, during the job, and after the job to blow off stress.

It is a very narrative game, pushing the players to narrate the highs and lows story beats alongside of the GM.

When it came out is spawned a whole menagerie of spin-offs.

And it came out in 2011.

It is Inspectres - a weird mashup of reality TV and Ghostbusters/Men in Black. Maybe it was timing. Maybe it was the goofy tone and the fact it is a toolbox for making comedic narratives. But it never seemed to catch on like similarly designed games. Of course, I was just tipping my toes back into the hobby in 2011 - looking to recapture the awe and wonder of D&D. So that could be the reason I didn’t hear of it when it came out.

A few years ago, I stumbled into it, and read through the system. But didn’t have time to play it.

But I was recently referencing my pdf, for the Franchise Card mechanics, and I realized how this game is basically one step down the evolutionary tree from Blades in the Dark, and thus Candela Obscura.

If you like the idea of comedic monster hunting, maybe give it a read. I would suggest streamlining the results table, to make it akin to BitD.

#RPG