It’s not just you — no one is posting on social media anymore::Social media is on the decline. Instagram is all ads. No one’s posting on BeReal. TikTok is for influencers. The new place for sharing: group chats.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

came up with things like decentralization and activity pub which are unlike any of the big platforms of yore.

I personally think activity pub is overrated. Not that it’s bad or anything. But many think of it, IMO, as the beginning and end of a new form of social media and people taking back the internet. In reality, I think it’s literally just a protocol and so much more than people recognise depends on what people build on top of it. So far, for example, the limited interoperability between lemmy/kbin and the microblogs/mastodon, which is not a simple bug fix away, at all, is a major friction between these two platforms that essentially forces them to be separate spaces/platforms. This is so despite both using ActivityPub and actually federating with each rather well. Because, it’s not (just) about the protocol, it’s about platform designs and structures … IE the software … and the protocol can only do or guarantee very little on that front.

From what I’ve gathered, the diaspora people didn’t adopt activitypub in large reason because of this, and I think they’ve always had a point. The pain some users have gone through trying to work out how to use lemmy and mastodon together, having been promised that ActivityPub is a whole new thing that creates a deep and wide fediverse, has been awful to see.