I have just started and look forward to reading your experiences.

Have fun all.

• Einar@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Nice. Now we must just hold off scanning this one until this bug is fixed.

• kid4today@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I got impatient and just did the whole expedition again making sure to make a beeline for the creature transcendant posted.

• Assassin4@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I saw that the issue has been fixed so I just travelled here. I hadn’t been here before so scanned this creature as a new discovery. I now finally have the achievement, thanks!

• Einar@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I just went there and strangely enough the achievement didn’t trigger. I had that planet on my list of scanned planets already, though.

• Bleeping Lobster@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Ah that’s a shame, I’m guessing you might have scanned it already?

Hopefully they manage to fix the bug long before the expedition ends. I’ve had to leave my setup behind for a few days and can’t wait to get back exploring.

• Einar@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Possible. Just kept searching. Eventually I found one that worked. That’s it. This was the most time intensive expedition so far for me.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I think also that was kind of the point with this one, to encourage exploration instead of just ripping through it as quickly as possible(guilty of that in previous expeditions). I’ve really been enjoying that aspect of it; I’ve been playing since day one and a lot of the ‘wow I’ve not seen this before’ effect had well and truly worn off. So for me it’s been a good opportunity to see the improvements to fauna / flora gen. Though imo biomes, buildings, flora and fauna proc gen is what they really should be focussing on at this point… why does every space station look like one of two models, why does every minor settlement look the same, why does every trading post look the same (I know there’s sort-of a canon explanation for this with it all being generated by the Atlas but it makes exploration pointless and boring once you’ve seen them more than twice)?

• Einar@lemm.eeOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Rumour has it that the space stations are due for an overhaul at some point. Let’s see how that statement of mine ages. 😄

More variety on the planets would also be welcome. More biomes, more biomes per planet, more variety in flora and fauna, add rivers, jungles and desserts.

As for buildings, flesh out the settlements. They seem to be the start of something, but what? The outposts could use a few more models, I agree, maybe with a few more procgen inside.

So many ideas. So much potential. NMS is super broad. It needs depth, IMO.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Stuff like this always makes me think, why not get the community involved? While not everyone has the ability to design in programs like blender, there are other things that can be outsourced.

One idea I had was to make a request for writing; create an absolute ton of text for Vykeen, Korvax, Gek (and now Autophage) in their general style, someone at HG proof-reads and selects what they feel fits the canon, assign them to personality blocks (eg angry, sad, pensive, sarcastic, scared, happy). When interacting with a particular creature for first time it’s assigned a block number, then each interaction with that entity would call a random paragraph from that ‘block’ of text.

Similarly, opening up the engine and allowing users with the ability to 3d model to supply building, creature models etc would massively increase the variety

• Einar@lemm.eeOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  10 months ago

Awesome idea.

Why not take this post and submit it here: Hello Games Reports

There’s already mods out there for planet generation and flora variety. Problem is just that no one apart from the mod user sees these changes.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    10 months ago

Good suggestion, I’ve dropped them a report. Hopefully this leads to something or I get some further info from them on how to go about creating it as a mod.