Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is acknowledging that he took three trips last year aboard a private plane owned by Republican megadonor Harlan Crow.

It’s the first time in years that Thomas has reported receiving hospitality from Crow. In a report made public Thursday, the 75-year-old justice said he was complying with new guidelines from the federal judiciary for reporting travel.

The filing comes amid a heightened focus on ethics at the high court that stems from a series of reports revealing that Thomas has for years received undisclosed expensive gifts, including international travel, from Crow, a wealthy businessman and benefactor of conservative causes. Crow also purchased the house in Georgia where Thomas’s mother continues to live and paid for two years of private school tuition for a child raised by Thomas and his wife, Ginni.

• dhork@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Clarence Thomas is still a corrupt asshole.

The original article had a shitload of words, my summary only has seven. I’m an actual human, I swear!

• xenomor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Corrupt piece of shit member of a corrupt piece of shit club continues to reaffirm just how corrupt, and just what a piece of shit he is.

• Alien Nathan Edward@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/saradorn/2023/04/24/supreme-court-did-review-case-involving-harlan-crow-contradicting-clarence-thomass-claim/?sh=6218ac166c74

Harlan Crow, the owner of Justice Thomas, has had cases before the court that Thomas failed to recuse himself from even after accepting these extraordinarily lavish gifts from Crow and after he denied ever sitting for a case Crow was involved in. The criminal Thomas defended himself by saying that it wasn’t Crow’s company on the case, it was a company owned by Crow’s company. This is after he denied receiving gifts from Crow at all, but eventually changed his stance on that and admitted to being bathed in money by the person he is meant to regulate impartially.

Dissolve the court. Arrest Thomas, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Alito. Investigate every other sitting justice and if they so much as took a piece of chewing gum from someone who had business before the court arrest them too. You want your word to be law and the only oversight to be literal Death? Then you have to be fucking flawless.

• eltrain123@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I don’t know if dissolving the court is the right answer, but there are a lot of “traditions” or “gentlemen’s agreements” associated with high level government positions that need be to discussed and codified as law, to prevent abuse.

A lot of the things Trump was doing are not prosecutable because there are no specific laws for the ass-hattery he was parading about doing. Fortunately, he was so prolific in his unrivaled disrespect for the country and the position that he did actually break a bunch of laws. We will see what sticks.

It should not be this difficult to hold members of the government accountable for their actions. Unfortunately, nothing changes when the people voting bills into laws are the ones benefitting from there not being a law. Hell, even when there are laws (like on congressional insider-trading), you have to find someone with the integrity to investigate and prosecute.

• knotthatone@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The Senate will probably never have 66 votes to impeach him before he dies of old age, but there is no reason he cannot be prosecuted and jailed for bribery and corruption. There are actual laws against that.

• Alien Nathan Edward@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

When the majority of the members are provably corrupt, how do you just say “Okay but from now on don’t be corrupt anymore or there will actually be consequences.” I’m not saying eliminate the concept of a supreme court, but this one needs to be redone from scratch

• Vlhacs@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Lol the audacity to blame one of the private jet flights on the abortion decision leak. As if that was the reason for all the other private flights gifted to him.

• Heresy_generator@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

It’s nice for them how a Republican justice corruptly leaking a draft of a Supreme Court decision is justification for Republican justices to engage in even more corruption.

• Halafax@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Instead Hillary hired the asshole who went after Anita Hill to run her presidential campaign. David Brock is useless. One of many idiot moves Clinton made to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

• dhork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

This prompted me to go look up the whole “Long Dong Silver” nonsense again, and I noted a few interesting things…

Thomas was nominated by George HW Bush. The Senate was controlled by Democrats at the time, though. Rather than sit on the nomination and be petulant about it, though, this Judiciary Committee held hearings, like they were supposed to. Those hearings were where we all found out about the public hairs on his coke can.

The Judiciary Committee voted on whether to recommend the nomination to the Senate, and that vote failed. The the committee held a vote on whether to send the nomination to the Senate with no recommendation, and that passed. Thomas ended up being confirmed in the Senate by a very slim majority. Even after that disaster of a hearing, and the vote of “No Confidence” by the committee, a bunch of Democrats decided that Thomas should get their approval anyway.

So, compare the actions of this Judiciary Committee to what Lindsay Graham did to Merrick Garland, where they didn’t even have the hearing.

Who was that committee chairman in 1991, anyway? None other than Dark Brandon! (Only he had not taken that form then, and was known simply as that guy who liked Amtrak, and was too gaffe-prone to ever be President.)

• Rapidcreek@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Whereas I didn’t feel the need to look at a wiki, because I watched it in teal time. Biden was chair and didn’t do anything other than what he was supposed to do per Senate procedure. However, in retrospect he could have tried to control Arlen Spector, an old school prosecutor, who tore Anita Hill and testimony apart. Thomas went on the stand and let go with “high tech lynching” and the dye was cast. Hillary Clinton later convinced Spector to become a Democrat, and since Republicans didn’t want to run him, he did.

• Rapidcreek@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Don’t know about that but it was evident that Spector browbeating Hill and Thomas mentioning lynching got the the committee to pass him through. The same sort of thing happened with Brett Kavanaugh

• krayj@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Accepting gifts is wrong. Failing to report accepting gifts is wrong. He’s still self-admittedly guilty of the worst of it.

• LEX@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Wow, what an honest guy! I can’t believe we’ve been so hard on him. He’s doing his best! 😔

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is acknowledging that he took three trips last year aboard a private plane owned by Republican megadonor Harlan Crow.

The filing comes amid a heightened focus on ethics at the high court that stems from a series of reports revealing that Thomas has for years received undisclosed expensive gifts, including international travel, from Crow, a wealthy businessman and benefactor of conservative causes.

The Associated Press reported in July that Justice Sonia Sotomayor, aided by her staff, has advanced sales of her books through college visits over the past decade.

The other two trips were to Dallas, where he spoke at conferences sponsored by the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank.

Thomas noted that court officials recommended that he avoid commercial travel for one of the trips, in mid-May, because of concerns about the justices’ security following the leak of the court’s draft abortion opinion that overturned Roe v. Wade.

The justice also belatedly acknowledged that Crow had purchased the home in Savannah, Georgia, where Thomas’ mother still lives.

The original article contains 360 words, the summary contains 174 words. Saved 52%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• iHUNTcriminals@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Dudes face looks like a grumpy stuck up white guy. Well maybe not his nose… He has KRS-Ones nose.