• DoomBot5@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

That’s what life insurance polices are for. Will be pretty hard to get one with her cancer diagnosis though.

• Saeveo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Are you not required to have a joint life assurance policy as a condition of a mortgage in the US?

• stalfoss@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

lol no, the bank doesn’t care, they’ll just take your house if you can’t pay

• Corkyskog@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

You literally beat me to this reply by like 4 minutes haha. Banks were giving variable mortgages to people who could barely afford current rates, they don’t give a shit.

• shortwavesurfer@monero.town
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I would never ever take an adjustable rate mortgage. That is just begging to get fucked. Like right now for example. My mortgage is like 4.2% but if it were an adjustable id be at like 6+% and be out of a house.

• krische@lemmy.world
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Or when the housing market is booming, they’ll repossess the house and sell it again for even more of a profit.

• Brandon658@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Probably make as much use of the scam mortgage insurance that they can too. I forget what it’s actually called but it’s a scam IMO. $100 a month baked into my escrow for insurance to the lender in case I lost the house. To my knowledge it provides me no benefit.

Upside is when I refinanced it was taken off. (Think the whole first time home owner program requires it for the initial loan.)

• transientDCer@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Not anywhere that I’ve seen, just home owners insurance and mortgage insurance if you pay less than 20% down.

• Meeech@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Nope, at least not for my mortgage. The only thing that was required was a home owners insurance policy.

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

In the US they want you to default. They can flip the house for more than you owe them.

• June@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I bought last year and there was nothing in the process that wanted either of us to have life insurance.

• AeonFelis@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Love how everyone in this subthread are sure they all live in the same country with the same rules and same banking system.