• Guadin@k.fe.derate.me
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Could mean 1 of 2 things:

1. Kbin is so good that even though there is little content and wonky lemmy federation, people still go there.
    2. Lemmy content is so good no matter where you are, you don’t want to miss anything.

You pick ;)

• exscape@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Federation is no more wonky than between regular Lemmy instances in my experience. I’ve had issues with both at times.
      It was only for a few days when the Reddit protest started that federation was barely working at all, it’s been mostly fine for quite a while now!

• TimeSquirrel@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Only reason I picked kbin was because of the interface. No offense, but lemmy seems a little janky at the moment. But it doesn’t matter, we’re all here anyway.

• WhoRoger@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I guess it’s both. Met a lot of kbin people in the past few days, so I went to check how this here looks from there. Kbin interface + Lemmy content seems like the best of both worlds, but the interoperability is pretty broken, sadly.

• mrmanager@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The default Lemmy interface is not great but that will change. Already quite a few nicer themes out. It’s early days. :)

• SimulatedKnave@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Personally, I’m here for the interface. I tried getting into Lemmy. It was unnecessarily arcane, and unnecessarily arcane things usually don’t prosper in these scenarios.

• danielton@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I disagree… I prefer Lemmy’s interface over that of kbin, plus it has better mobile app support. I’d say mobile app support is what matters most in the long run if we want more users.

Maybe I will change my mind once Artemis comes out. But it is nice that they federate with each other.

• timothy_120@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I use kbin to VIEW Lemmy content because I prefer the responsiveness and the UI a bit more than Lemmy itself. But choices are good!

• Odo@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is something that I don’t quite get because Kbin doesn’t even have an option to collapse comments, are there are any other things that you think Kbin does better than Lemmy? I also don’t like how the thumbnails are stretched for image posts, and that images open on a second page load instead of inline. The lemmy experience in 0.17 was a bit messy with webhooks, but 0.18 is much better (check lemmy.ml for an instance running 0.18).

• timothy_120@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I kinda prefer that look honestly with the stretched boxes and thumbnails. Collapse comments is nice on Lemmy but I found that when i was upvoting or refreshing it seemed to lag and take a few seconds. Maybe that’s fixed I’ll go check it out!

• PunchingBag@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I browse on desktop, therefore at this point in time, I use kbin. All other UIs I’ve found in the fediverse are pretty bad by comparison. Way too much garbage on the screen on most of them, and lemmy.world has an auto-updating scroll that you can’t disable that I suspect is also a memory leak.

• scrimbingus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

lemmy.world has an auto-updating scroll that you can’t disable that I suspect is also a memory leak.

The auto-updating should be gone in Lemmy 0.18, but lemmy.world is waiting for 0.18.1 to update so they can keep sign-up captcha. Should only be a couple of days, from what I’ve read.

• phoenixes@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

AFAIK kbin is just Lemmy+Mastodon mixed into a weird combo so yeah, it just acts like another Lemmy instance for the most part

• kavides@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Kbin has quite a few of its own posts but a lot is from Lemmy and mastodon, yeah. From my perspective, Lemmy acts like another kbin instance!

• bitsplease@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Personally that’s the appeal for me! Once they add following hashtags I think I’ll move over to kbin and toss my Mastadon and Lemmy accounts so I only have to manage a single login