• Grimy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

They shouldnt be reading and playing with things privately stored. Are they going to go through all my documents to replace any swear words? It’s completely inexcusable. Private doesn’t mean private until some big company asks about it wtf.

• tomich@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

It’s not on bookmarks. Is on collections(a different thing) that are public, shareable and technically hosted by Google. This whole thing has been overblown by not fact checking.

• Grimy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

It deleted them from public and private collections.

If google was taking out mentions of Tiananmen Square at China’s request, would you be okay with it?

• mac@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

That’s a giant leap and massively different.

• Grimy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Both are blatant forms of censorship, one is extreme but the principal is the exact same.

• streetfestival@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

What do you mean by privately stored if you’re saving it in some google application?

• Grimy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I don’t think something becomes public just because it’s saved in a Google app. I consider the contents of my gdrive private and my own. There’s ethics to consider that go wildly beyond “if it ends up on Google’s hardrive, it automatically belongs to them”.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

I don’t know how useful a public versus private distinction is here or in the current big tech digital age generally. The point is that if you’re storing your data on google servers, you aren’t entitled to (or receiving) any privacy from them or anyone they choose to sell your data and/or information to. They give you cheap storage because they’re interested in mining your data; it’s highly, highly profitable

• Grimy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Not modifying it is seriously the minimum. Doesn’t really seem defendable to me.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

In an abstract moral universe, you’re entitled to your opinion, and I don’t disagree. But you don’t have a legal leg to stand on here, and this is just the modern big tech internet these days. Forewarned is forearmed though: back your stuff physically or in other ways that you have fuller control over. Because of all the bucks to be made off of harvesting user data, everyone wants to push you to the cloud

• Grimy@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

I know very well just how powerful google is. I’m not saying it’s illegal, I’m saying it’s a dick move and isn’t defendable. They are behaving like shit and we should be vocal about it, even if they do own us.

• seejur@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

If that’s the case (what OP mentioned), I think it’s still the responsibility of who made those effing laws. You cannot ask a corporation to break the law to protect your privacy. But you can definitely ask your representative to protect it

• Grimy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

It’s not an order from the president, they could easily say no and fight it.

• SeabassDan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

If they have anything to gain from it financially, which they probably don’t in this case, and are even being kind enough to let you know what they’re removing.

Corporations aren’t nice to be nice, it usually helps their bottom line when they are.

• Grimy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

That’s kind of my point. They are being dicks, why do people feel the need to defend and excuse their behavior.

• Alex@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

This is google we’re talking about, there never was any privacy to begin with, and what you believed was there was always just an illusion. This was always their interpretation of the ideal and power of the internet with its “free sharing of ideas and knowledge” - they literally went with including personal data in that much like facebook and both have yet to be stopped or held accountable to start treating it as such.

• MrSqueezles@lemm.ee
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Please contact your congressperson. Having dealt with shit like this, a company’s other option is fines approaching infinity and jail time for those who don’t comply. We elected the people who did this.

We should be angry at corporations for monopolistic behavior, using profits from one business to prop up another and drown competitors (Bard), cross-business-unit offerings that smaller companies can’t compete with (Prime shipping, video, music), not this. This is a company complying with a terrible law.