• Lols [they/them]@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

a budget gaming pc that requires minimal upkeep or research into picking parts or putting them together

if that isnt a good enough reason, counterpoint: maybe consoles just have no point then

• airportline@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Consoles are mass produced and (usually) sold at a loss. I don’t see how PCs can compete with that in terms of value.

Additionally, consoles receive better support from both their manufacturers and from large game developers.

• Stovetop@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Consoles are by far the best bang for your buck right now in terms of performance vs cost. A decent GPU alone today costs as much as a PS5/Series X. Unless you need a powerful desktop for other purposes, it’s cheaper to buy a console and a decent laptop separately than it is to build a gaming PC.

• falk1856@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Short term, sure. But got 12 years of decent gaming out of my last PC that I just replaced in January. I don’t know any consoles that continue to have releases over that sort of timeframe.

• ezri@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Idk about that, if you’re aiming for performance similar to what consoles get you can build a PC for pretty cheap

• Creat
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

So, if you’re only buying a console to play that one or two games, they are objectively not a good choice to buy for you. Or if you have multiple consoles just to play all the exclusives, not for any actual feature of the device or cause it does something specific you want (or has accessories others don’t, like VR), same thing. This promotes innovation.

If games weren’t exclusive, you could just buy whatever console fits your use case the best, offers the best performance, or the cheapest for more casual gamers who don’t care about performance who just want to play something every now and then. That’s good for consumers.

So what you said isn’t a counterpoint at all. It’s just your reason for buying them I presume, actually proving they are bad for consumers especially in your case. If they had no exclusives, you’d just play whatever game you want on whatever platform you chose, losing nothing.

• lowleveldata@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The games are the only “actual feature” of any gaming devices. Any superior hardware without software is just a piece of tech demo.

• lowleveldata@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That depends on weather you want consoles to exist or not. Personally I think it’s more exciting that we have different consoles.