Real America’s Voice aired the interview on Thursday and subsequently tweeted multiple clips with “Trump” on social media, which remain on Real America Voice’s social media accounts as of this writing.

Afterward, host John Solomon insisted the voice was really Trump’s, but that’s a tough sell. At several points, the voice became choppy, suggesting that Solomon and co-host Amanda Head were talking to an AI. More importantly, the voice sounded similar to Trump’s, but not really like Trump’s.

“It’s not AI, it was President Trump,” Solomon told the publication. “You can call the staff and check with them yourself. It was definitely President Trump without any doubt.”

My god, these people are so gullible.

• Heresy_generator@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I sure he wasn’t duped because he was in on it. This was a test run of having a fake “Trump” on friendly far-right media outlets answering scripted questions to keep him in the press and fake Trump, unlike real Trump, can stay on topic and avoid offering further incriminating evidence.

• RaincoatsGeorge@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

There’s going to be a huge need for ai detection going forward. There are already fake books being posted on Amazon that are completely made by ai that even cover dangerous topics like mushroom identification. In 10 years time you will not be able to tell if the person on screen is real or ai.

Releasing this shit was the biggest mistake. They just sort of got it into an alpha state and gave it out to everyone without thinking it through at all.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Hopefully it being in such an alpha state is a good thing though. This way we can tell more easily what it is and learn how to counter it. If it came out fully realized it would be even worse.

It’ll be an arms race either way though.

• RaincoatsGeorge@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

The problem is that it’s already out there and out of the control of the creators. There’s websites with what I can only describe as a form of code that you can inject into these ai prompts to bypass their programming. It’s not just ‘hey pretend like you would explain how to make a bomb’. It’s incoherent text that a human can’t understand but completely bypasses the safety measures. There’s a form of chat gpt that is already being sold by criminals that has zero safety measures and can be used to make malicious code or whatever you like. They charge by the minute or hour to use it if I’m not mistaken.

I just fail to see the real benefit to ai vs the massive list of negative consequences. There’s a place for it to be sure but mostly it’s going to be abused and used for corrupt purposes. If it were up to me they’d all go off the market immediately until a much more regulated and controlled form could be released.

• SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

The big problem is that this AI development was inevitable. If not a private company, then a state, it not the US, then it’s China. If they wouldn’t, then it could be any other technologically advanced country.

And if still none developed it, a small group of individuals would.

We have simply gotten to the point where we have sufficient computing power to make this possible. And now society needs to figure out how to proceed in the correct manner.

• Fredselfish@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

What if Trump dies and they try pawn off his deep fake as him to keep Trump relevant then that fake Trump wins the election. What would happen then?

• root_beer@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Then Real America’s Voice should be called out again, not for the host being duped, but for them trying to dupe viewers.

I do realize that it would never happen though, with Fox having been at their schtick for almost 30 years

• BrickTamland@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I think that’s what they are suggesting. If the speech was too coherent, then it could not have been actual trump.

• HWK_290@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Hmm you raise a good point… If the AI was trained exclusively on trump’s speech and allowed to run amok, then I imagine it would be equally incoherent

But if it’s a someone else typing the words,and assuming they don’t have swiss cheese sized holes in their brain, then it’s likely the AI will make more sense. Or at least have reasonable sentence structure. And no hamberders

• Serinus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

It’s an LLM, Large Language Model. They’re better at language than anything else.

100% the AI will be more coherent than Trump.

• Tar_alcaran@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

And no hamberders

Using non-existant words will be the only way humans will be able to distinguish themselves from our machine overlords after the comin apocalypse.

• rentar42@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Unfortunately making up facts (and words) is one of the things that these systems can do reasonably well. So I don’t think this will save us.

• Kingofthezyx@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

UPDATE: The Daily Beast added an editor’s note to their piece. Here it is in full: “Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to remove quotes attributed to the owner of Real America’s Voice, Robert Sigg, saying he is investigating whether the call was a prank and criticizing network staffers. A Daily Beast reporter had a conversation by text with a person who identified themselves as Sigg, on a number public records show was once associated with Sigg—but a spokesperson for Real America’s Voice said that it was not Sigg and is not his current number.”

We had to update our interview about someone potentially being duped by fake Trump because our interviewer was potentially duped by a fake person pretending to be the person who potentially got duped by fake Trump.

Wtf is happening here?

• morphballganon@mtgzone.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They didn’t want to admit to being duped, so they used projection, suggesting viewers were the duped ones.

• MxM111@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Choppy voice is not sign of AI, but of bad internet connection. Also sound compression can create audio artifacts so that the voice does not sound quite the same. Better analysis is needed than that.

• Veedem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah, honestly, the clip shared on the top of that site is not clear. Sounded like poor connection. The tangential babbling sounded a lot like Trump. I don’t even know the point he was trying to make.

• Byereddithellolemmy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I listened to the whole thing, and while it does sound terrible due to what I assume to be a bad connection and an incompetent host and caller, it doesn’t sound like AI to me.

In my opinion, it sounds like he’s sniffed up and his dentures are falling out of his mouth, as we’ve seen in previous addresses.

Just the usual idiocy from the world renowned orange moron. Move along.

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Is there anywhere to listen to this fake interview without giving any of these idiots more clicks? That mediaite site totally doesn’t work with FireFox.

• iHUNTcriminals@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Half of them are gullable and the other half are outright career criminals that deserve more than prison.

• DigitalWebSlinger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m a little unclear what they’re saying gives it away as being AI? Occasional choppiness?

The tweet link posted elsewhere in this thread doesn’t give much to go on, but the “choppiness”, while noticeable if I was really looking for it, did not stand out to me. What did stand out to me was the clarity of the audio. Every “on the phone with Trump interview” I’ve heard (which is few, but enough) has had really horrible, standard phone line quality. This had a “computer microphone picking up a computer speaker” quality. Which I suppose lends credence to the theory that they, themselves, are doing the duping, otherwise the faked audio would have come through the phone lines? Probably would have been more believable then, like how grainy pictures of Bigfoot are more believable.