• UrbenLegend@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Not trying to cast any doubt here, but how do we know this is officially done by the KDE team? I can’t find a link to kde.social from kde.org. Even their matrix server is on kde.org.

• carlschwan@lemmy.mlOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

So full disclosure, the instance is not 100% official since it is not hosted on kde infrastructure, as this would create too much work on KDE’s sysadmin to maintain another service.

But I manage it, and I’m a long-term KDE contributor (5 years now), maintaining most user-facing websites and various applications (Kalendar, Tokodon, NeoChat, Kontrast, …). I’m part of the KDE Promo team (I have access to all the existing kde social media accounts) and of the fundraising team. And in the past, I was moderating r/kde, but I deleted my account a while ago already. And finally, I already maintain https://kde.social, which hosts the mastodon accounts of a few kde applications as well as of a few other contributors. (all that in my free time)

Hopefully, this is legit enough :) And I will add the link to the Lemmy instance in the footer of kde.org

• UrbenLegend@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Thanks for the clarification and all of your hard work! That’s definitely legit enough for me. I was just puzzled why it was a new URL that I had never seen before from official KDE sources. Perhaps you could ask that kde.social be added to the Community pages on KDE.org? That way fellow KDE users can easily find it and join!

• unknowing8343
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Everyone subscribe! We should make it at least the main KDE community.

Love me some officially supported federation!

• somedev@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Is there a special way to make those links? Half of them work, but then others are like an email address. This one didn’t work.

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Before you had to fiddle with the markdown link manually. As of v18, you can just type out the name of a community in the !name@instan.ce format, in plain-text, and it will become a working link.

• gadgetzombie@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I believe links like this will be sorted automatically in Lemmy 0.18 but until then links are like this without the space between ] (

[!community@instance] (/c/community@instance)

!kde@lemmy.kde.social

Currently if the community hasn’t been discovered by your instance then you’ll get a 404 error like I just did, apparently it’s a known thing and you need to search for the community before accessing it, see here - https://github.com/LemmyNet/lemmy-ui/issues/1335

• jfreax@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Do they need to approve each and every instance manually? I thought it would happen automatically as soon as someone is trying to subscribe to a “channel” of another instance. No?

• Lemmchen@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m not familiar with the exact process yet. But doesn’t that mean if you wanted to run an unfederated instance, you’d need to manually block every other instance there is?

• Bilb!@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

By default, lemmy will federate openly with any other instance. You can then block specific instances. (Disallow-list)

You can additionally disable federation altogether, or only federate with a specified list. (Allow-list).

• jfreax@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s how I understood it. There is maybe a way to blacklist everything (like using a wildcard) or disable federation? I don’t know. Maybe I will try to run my own personal instance just to learn how it works :)

• carlschwan@lemmy.mlOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Because it’s better in term of health of the fediverse if we don’t end up with only a few big instances like lemmy.ml. Also people can interact with lemmy.kde.social while not being on that instance

• fugepe@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I mean it requires a validation from the mods to be accepted. Makes it slow for people to join in tbh.

• carlschwan@lemmy.mlOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m trying to keep the size in check and limit the possibility for users of this instance to spam other instances.