Everyone has something they can’t stop themselves from nerding out over - but often it’s hard to find people to talk to about it. So go ahead, share your interests, and tell us about them!

• Stamets@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Honestly? Myself. No one in my life asks how I’m doing, what I’m doing, if there’s anything new… Then again I’m too much of a pushover anyway.

• PrinceWith999Enemies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I love your posts and have assumed that you chose your username after one of my favorite Trek characters in the history of the franchise, but did you know that Paul Stamets the Discovery mycologist was named for the actual Paul Stamets, a real life mycologist? Real-Stamets is interesting particularly because he is largely self-educated in mycology and who has multiple publications and awards in the field?

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I did! You are right in guessing who I named my account after. He’s also one of my favorites. First openly gay main Trek character meant a big deal to me. I know way more than I should about Discovery, including a lot of research and choices when it came to Stamets and Culber.

I love my little gay boys.

• FooBarrington@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I think that, most of the time, we’re all locked in our own tiny worlds that are completely filled by our lives, making us forget to really inquire about the people around us. But if you start talking about things, people are usually interested! It’s not an easy thing to do, especially if you don’t have many opportunities - but I can really recommend trying to share some bits and pieces about cool things that the other person might enjoy. Worst case they don’t respond and you can drop it. But there’s also a good chance it will lead to good things! :)

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

That’s true for a lot of people but my situation is complicated. Like I said before, I’ve just learned to live with it.

Besides, the problems temporary enough. Eventually I’ll die and then it’ll solve itself.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Not great but it’s whatever. Didn’t mean that as a prompt for people to ask me. I just wish the people in my life would ask.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

It is what it is. Nothing is really going to change it or make a difference. I’ve learned to just… live with it.

• Caradoc879@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

Well, I’ll talk about you then. Your Risa posts have been the highlight of my Lemmy experience, and I would say a lot of others as well, considering they’re consistently some of the most active posts on lemmy.world. I came because of the reddit bullshit but stayed because of your memes.

Years from now when people ask “who were the first famous Lemmings?” MY answer will be “Stamets”. You beautiful fucking bastard.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

I am glad that people are enjoying them. I only started because I’ve been stuck in my apartment for a month. Can’t walk at the moment and I was losing my fucking mind. Memes have been an outlet for me because I get to look through all the ones I have saved and pick my favorites to post. I’ve been trying to make a couple but I’m not that clever.

Either way I’m glad that I was able to give a reason to stay. Just doing my part.