cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

It seems like alottaaaaaa people on lemmy specifically haven’t used windows in the past several years. Built in AV is pretty much king on windows. Almost all drivers auto install even Nvidia albeit not the latest nvidia sometimes. Ten has built in battery options. You’re speaking about prebuilts and trying to spin the narrative. Windows 10 is a great OS, it’s hilarious how people attempt to pretend it’s not.

• Rustmilian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I installed Windows (both 10 & 11) last month on separate occasions, it took nearly 45m for it to install (with both 10 & 11), on top of that Windows 11 fucked up the first time around & I had to do it again. All to just update the BIOS because HP sucks.

When a Linux distro like Linux Mint installs in 5m-10m flat on the same exact device, first time around ever time.

Linux doesn’t need AV software, “security by design” is a key principle of Linux, and I don’t even think Windows itself actually “needs” AV software. It’s called common sense.

Automatically installing drivers won’t work if your WiFi card is unsupported out of the box like others have mentioned, especially with Windows 11 where you need internet to even install it the official “Microsoft way”. While Linux has all such supported drivers built-in and can provide support for these devices long past their EOL on Windows.
      Nvidia drivers will auto install on Linux distros such as Mint too.

Windows 10 is a great OS, it’s hilarious how people attempt to pretend it’s not.

Nobody said it wasn’t, his comment comes off more as shitting on HP than Windows; we just don’t ignore it’s downside when looking at the whole picture.
      Also Windows 11 is arguably worse than Windows 10.

Each OS has pros & cons and it’s important to look at each closely without assuming someone else is in fairyland because they chose a different OS then you, if you’re not careful you may find yourself in the very fairyland you’re accusing others of being in.