• striderstroke@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I tend to have driver issues more so with Linux than windows in my experience. Both seem to be capable at the very least of automatically installing a lot of the drivers without user intervention.

• Rustmilian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

You’d have more driver issues with Windows if you used hardware that wasn’t already being sold with Windows pre-installed by OEMs/system integrators. Comparatively Linux supports a wider verity of hardware for much longer, Windows on the other hand only really supports consumer grade hardware that’s likely to have it pre-installed anyway with a limited (and often predestined) EOL.

If manufacturers treated Linux desktop as first class like with Windows or Linux on Servers then there’d be a very small amount of unsupported & likely obsolete hardware.

• AmberPrince@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m not sure how any of the different hardware components I bought to build my system had Windows pre-installed, considering I had to install Windows myself.

• Rustmilian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Sir, do you know what OEMs/system integrators mean?
          You’re very likely using hardware components OEMs/system integrators use in their consumer products (in fact I’d bet on it), in which incentivizes hardware manufacturers to write & maintain proper Windows drivers for said components, because of money and contracts; that is until the hardware goes EOL and the development and maintenance ceases to continue from that point.

That’s where Linux is different; it may not be able to support all consumer hardware from day one (if at all in some cases; tho this is getting better with time), since all the (in-tree) drivers are open source there isn’t a true EOL and the driver can receive proper maintenance, improvements, security patches, etc. long after the support has gone EOL on Windows.
          This very thing is why Linux is so good at reviving hardware that Windows doesn’t or can’t support anymore.

In fact Linux probably officially supports more consumer grade hardware then Windows 11 specifically because of the TPM tomfoolery that blocks hardware from installing it in the Microsoft approved fashion (even though the hardware is easily supported through unofficial means).

• striderstroke@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

My system is one I custom built myself. I don’t really think I’ve ever owned an OEM desktop before. The driver issues I tend to have was with multiple USB WiFi adapters I’ve tried with my computer. I had to do some really weird black magic shit to get them to work properly. I also couldn’t run my TV at 4K 60hz on Linux, but I could on Windows. Freesync has also given me issues when trying to activate it. Not the fault of Linux if manufacturers don’t give it proper support, but this has been my experience unfortunately. Windows would indeed have more driver issues if less drivers were being officially supported like if any other OS didn’t get proper driver support, so I’m not really sure what you’re trying to point out to me. What exactly is “consumer grade hardware”? Doesn’t Windows run on other things as well besides just your typical desktop?

• Rustmilian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

The driver issues I tend to have was with multiple USB WiFi adapters I’ve tried with my computer.

I just use WiFi tethering which circumvents that whole thing, so I can’t speak on that.

I also couldn’t run my TV at 4K 60hz on Linux, but I could on Windows.

This could be a few things, from the drivers to your display output configuration. I have a 4K 60hz TV that works perfectly fine with Linux, the display output just wasn’t configured correctly. This is something Wayland can indirectly streamline for us in the very near future as it adds features that allows developers to better handle & support various displays.

Freesync has also given me issues when trying to activate it.

This is unfortunately an area that’s all up to one entity (AMD) to sort out but they just haven’t. The way they’d achieve this is straight forward on paper; they’d have to make a FreeSync standard driver and provide similar GUI tools.

don’t really think I’ve ever owned an OEM desktop before.

That doesn’t mean you’re not using the components found in common OEM pre-builds.

Doesn’t Windows run on other things as well besides just your typical desktop?

Not really, no.
          There’s Windows server but it’s woefully unused and is basically dead. Why even use it when Microsoft Azure (Linux based) exists. Amongst the security issues raised by various cyber security professionals.
          Additionally the driver problem is flipped in this area; I could grab just about any server hardware and it’ll likely work with Linux no problem. However with Windows, I’d have to look specifically for Windows compatible hardware, as there’s just not much insensitive to support Windows in the server space.
          You can find Windows XP running on random legacy crap. But as of modern Windows, a Microsoft Surface and Valves Steam Deck is about as unique/exotic as the hardware gets.
          Windows just isn’t flexible enough to be used outside of the desktop in any real compacity and Valves Steam Deck is great example of this. The Steam Deck may have the drivers to support Windows but navigating it is a whole different story.