• puppy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I have never even thought about drivers let alone search for them in Linux. Everything just works out of the box.

The only exception was when I wanted to try a different version of an NVIDIA driver. Ironically the one that worked best was the one that came with Ubuntu and was installed by clicking a checkbox to use proprietary drivers over open source

• lud@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

It mostly works out of the box. Go ahead and search for a few laptop models on arch wiki and you will discover that quite a few of them have features that need manual fixing (regardless of distro) and in some cases is unfixable.

• big_onion@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I couldn’t get Bluetooth to work reliably. Never thought something as simple as a Bluetooth headset would give me such problems.

• drathvedro@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Bluetooth is anything but simple. It’s a hackjob upon hackjob of hackjobs. While it’s true that linux implementation is also a bit of a hack, I remember the constant headache I had when all my peripherals were on bluetooth, and the pain of switching them all between windows PC and android phone. Never again, I’ll take the wires instead, thanks

• Da_Boom@iusearchlinux.fyi
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Yeah, you gotta look for Bluetooth receivers that have proper support. Some laptop receivers won’t work correctly - its only a select few receivers that actually have reliable drivers.

I myself use a Xbox one x|s controller wirelessly using the xpadneo driver. My first issue was the fact that the first USB Bluetooth receiver I bought didn’t work - turns out that certain Bluetooth receiver models you can buy from eBay/Amazon are often bootlegs of other models, and these bootlegs are just different enough that you have to modify the kernel to adjust for the quirks.

Given that USB Bluetooth receivers are cheap, (was like $20 Aussie dollars) I just bought another one and that one actually did work, instead of working out how to modify the driver.

Then I found that Xbox one controllers have this weird quirk due to the BTLE authentication system it has that results in it unable to stay permanently connected - it would constantly loop between connected and disconnected, at first I tried every method for getting it to work, and the only one that worked was that I had to attach my USB receiver to a windows VM, pair it, go into the windows registry to grab the auth key, and then implant it in the Linux Bluetooth configuration. Only then did it work flawlessly.

Problem is it’s a lot of fucking effort for a layman to attempt to work out and setup. And you also have to have either a windows machine, or a windows VM to connect the receiver you plan to use with the controller into.

But once you do it, the controller will always work on the PC, with that receiver. And you never need to worry about it untill you decide to reinstall linux- but in that case you just copy the same key across Linux installs.

Note: I don’t dual boot, but sometimes the dual boot method is the only way to get things to work Here’s the archwiki article I used to work out how to do it, only I used a windows VM instead of a second windows partition.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/bluetooth

Here’s a list of good and bad dongles from the xpadneo Bluetooth page:

https://atar-axis.github.io/xpadneo/#bt-dongles

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Huh, for me bluetooth headsets are the one kind of peripheral that work better on Linux than windows.